Murray lines up further Barrow Raiders signings
Last updated at 16:26, Wednesday, 23 October 2013
ANTHONY Murray expects to further bolster his burgeoning Barrow Raiders squad before the end of the week.
The new Craven Park boss has been a whirlwind of recruitment activity in the two weeks since he took on the role.
Murray has already overseen the signings of full-backs Ian Mort and Ross Brookes, forwards Matty Palmer and Joe Burke and winger Dalton Grant.
The five men have been added to the seven members of the 2013 squad signed on by the board before the coach’s appointment.
But the ex-Millom boss – who played an instrumental role in bringing former Woollybacks Brookes and Palmer into the fold – is far from resting on his laurels and hopes to have further reinforcements drafted in before the weekend.
Another prop – in addition to Burke and Andrew Dawson, though Danny Jones can also occupy the position – is a prime target, as is a second hooker to complement Nathan Mossop.
Murray is also in talks with an experienced winger and said: “I’m hoping there will be more signings before the end of the week, fingers crossed.
“We’re talking to people all the time.
“We’re talking to another winger with some good experience, who has played at a decent standard.
“We’re on our way at the minute in the pack. We’ve got three props in place (including Jones) and we’re still looking at the market.
“I’m in discussions with two, so we’ll have to see what develops with that.”
Half-back is another area Murray is keen to strengthen.
So far, Liam Campbell is the only regular in that position to be recruited, though Kurt Haggerty did move from the second row on occasion to fill in this year.
Murray confirmed 20-year-old Brad Marwood – son of assistant boss Dean – was still part of his plans, but he was looking elsewhere to further strengthen.
He added: “We’re looking at a potential scrum half as well to boost us in that area.
“We’ve got Liam Campbell, who is a good player, and young Marwood as well. These players will be given an opportunity, but we need another half-back in there as well to keep everybody on their toes.”
Plans to bring in further players from the local amateur scene have hit several snags, however.
Millom hooker Marcus O’Brien was a confirmed target, but requires surgery on a knee problem, while both Walney’s Danny Morrow and Askam and Dalton’s James Duerden are also thought to have been approached. But one target has been ruled out because of work commitments and Murray said: “I spoke to another amateur lad the other day, who I firmly believe is one of the best amateurs in the area.
“But at this moment in time, he is quite busy with studying.
“His workplace are putting him through a management qualification and he is quite busy with that. We’ve had to leave that one for the minute as a result.
“The other ideal player from Millom would have been Marcus O’Brien, the hooker.
“He’s the best hooker outside the professional game, in my opinion, but he might be waiting for a full knee reconstruction.
“He’s come back from Australia with a really bad knee, so we will just have to see what pans out there with that one.”
l The Raiders Bar will be open on Saturday to show the opening two games of the Rugby League World Cup on the big screen.
England v Australia (2.30pm kick-off) and Wales v Italy (4.30pm kick-off) will both be screened. The bar opens at 2pm.
First published at 16:00, Wednesday, 23 October 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Murray - stop signing rubbish and get some players WITH experience at this level, remember you are no longer coaching milliom!
Surprised you're not putting yourself on the players books!