Barrow Raiders flier Nixon fit for pre-season
Last updated at 13:40, Thursday, 04 November 2010
TRY-SCORING machine James Nixon is ready to hand Barrow Raiders a huge boost by returning for pre-season training.
The speedy winger missed all but five minutes of the 2010 Championship campaign after breaking his left arm in the opening stages of the first game against Leigh.
But two post-season operations have been successful and Nixon is confident he will be ready to join his team-mates when training starts later this month.
“I’ve had the two operations since the end of the season and when I have been back, they have said everything is looking well for the start of pre-season,” said Nixon, who has spent nine months on the sidelines since that Leigh Centurions game in February.
“I go back on Friday for another follow-up consultation and I should be back in full training in another eight weeks.
“Fitness-wise, I will be all right for the start of pre-season training, but I won’t be doing any contact for a few more weeks after that.
“It will be hard work, because I’m not very fit at the moment, but I am looking forward to it.”
Complications with his double fracture – with a break on both the radius and the ulna – meant Nixon’s planned returns during the campaign this year did not come to fruition. But the 25-year-old – whose has a record of almost a try a game for Barrow – has undergone a bone graft on the problem radius break, which had previously failed to heal.
That post-season op has been successful, which will be a big boost for Barrow, who lacked two recognised wingers for much of the season this year, with Jermaine McGillvary joining on dual-registration from Super League Huddersfield Giants to help plug the gap when he was available.
It will also put Scotland international Nixon in prime position to earn a new contract – something which was not offered to him when his deal ran out at the end of the season due to his injury.
“It’s been nine months and I missed the game last year,” he added.
“It was tough watching, but hopefully everything will be all right now and I will be back.
“I definitely want to prove I am worth a new contract.
“There’s no reason why I won’t be able to play – that’s what the consultant has said and if the club want me I will be happy to play.”
The exact date for the start of Barrow’s pre-season training regime has yet to be set, with the club waiting for the appointment of a new head coach.
It is expected to be before the end of the month, with the coach in place well before then – though Nixon is as in the dark as everyone else over who will be taking over, with his father and Raiders director Dave keeping quiet.
“My dad is keeping his mouth shut as far as that goes,” added the former Dalton amateur. “I will find out when everyone else finds out.
“A lot of people think we underachieved last year after winning the Championship and the Grand Final the year before, so whoever comes in will have a big job to do.
“But all the lads will be concentrating on getting back into form and sorting out what we didn’t do last year.”
First published at 13:05, Thursday, 04 November 2010
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
how about martin crompton ex blackers coach thats deffo
Make your comment
- Furness Tory leader appeals to PM for Duddon Estuary and Morecambe Bay bridges
- MP savages 'pie in sky fantasy' or Morecambe Bay traffic tunnel
- Record smashed as Keswick to Barrow Walk raises £345k
- Cumbria police appeal after £500 stolen from slot machine
- Ulverston man loses jail term appeal over attempted petrol station robbery