Forward Gordon leaves Barrow Raiders
Last updated at 18:20, Saturday, 10 November 2012
BACK-ROW battler James Gordon will not be at Barrow Raiders next season.
The former Askam and Roose Pioneers amateur has called time on his second Craven Park spell due to work and family commitments.
Gordon was a key part of the Barrow side which won promotion from Championship One to the Championship and reached the Grand Final, winning the Most Improved Player award at the end-of-season presentation night.
But boss Darren Holt had been unable to contact the player until a story featured in the Evening Mail last week highlighting the mystery over his future.
Gordon has since been in touch with the club and the news for Holt and his side was not good.
“I’ve heard back from James after the article,” said the Barrow coach, who was earlier this week boosted by captain Liam Harrison inking a new deal despite his own work issues.
“Gordy has told me he won’t be coming back down next year. He has effectively let me know that he has got too much on at work and he doesn’t feel that he can commit to the time needed at that level.
“I’ve had that message from Gordy now and, certainly through no fault of trying or effort, it was just his decision regarding work commitments and he also has a young family.
“He thinks he is going to struggle for the time and commitment levels needed, which I respect and completely understand – I have been there before myself.”
Gordon, who played 19 times this season, scoring two tries, is the second back-row forward to leave Raiders since the end of the season, with veteran Martin Ostler having confirmed his retirement last month.
Danny Jones and Kurt Haggerty have both been brought in to bolster the position, while Harrison’s confirmation that he will remain is a big boost.
Holt admitted he might have to change his plans somewhat given the latest development, but said the club would not be too badly affected.
“It does change my plans – I had, maybe wrongly so, assumed Gordy would be coming back down after the season he had last year – but not in a big way.
“I said I wanted a squad of 25 and I am still off that squad, so we will keep looking.
“If you look at the players we have signed already – Danny Jones and Kurt Haggerty in the second row are both very good players.
“I do think Gordy would have continued to get better and better and he would have been very good in that position.”
He added: “Of course it affects us – we would all like Gordy back down, he’s well-liked, a good lad, a great trainer and a very fit lad who wears his heart on his sleeve, which is good.
“He will be missed, but it’s his decision, he has made it for the right reasons and you can only respect that.”
l Early-bird season tickets for 2013 will be available from the Rugby Shop, Scott Street, Barrow, until Wednesday.
First published at 16:22, Friday, 09 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
It's a shame as the lad looked not too bad. He at least put the effort in which at times was lacking hugely by others last season. But we've all been there. Work comes first and with a baby on the way it would have been tough for Gordon. You never know, a couple of years down line when kiddie has grown up a bit, he might be back. Anyways, get your self signed for millom lad, you'd run we'll for us in that league. All the best, G.
Make your comment
- Three vehicles damaged in Barrow vandal attack
- No charges for spot fixing arrest football player from Barrow
- Ulverston supermarket row set to reignite (3 comments)
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor
- More than 900 join campaigners in fight to stop Barrow parking charges