Captain Harrison hands Barrow Raiders fitness boost
Last updated at 16:02, Thursday, 14 February 2013
SKIPPER Liam Harrison has handed Barrow Raiders a fitness boost ahead of Sunday’s Championship trip to Featherstone.
The Craven Park captain limped from the field on Sunday after picking up knocks to his neck and shin in the 14-4 defeat to Doncaster.
But Harrison came through a modified training session on Tuesday night – when players did not use the pitch damaged by mudbath conditions just two days earlier – and coach Darren Holt will have him available for selection at the weekend.
“Liam is a bit sore, but he’s okay,” said Holt.
“It’s nothing serious and he will be okay for the weekend.
“It would have been a problem if he had been missing.
“We’ve come through pretty much unscathed. Liam came off, Dan Toal had a bit of a knock, but he’s fine, so we’re okay.”
Barrow are already missing the suspended second-rower Kurt Haggerty for Sunday’s game, after he picked up a one-match ban for striking in the opening-day loss at Hunslet.
The absence of Harrison as well in the pack might have caused problems, but his availability means Holt can promote former St Helens youngster Danny Jones from the bench.
“Danny Jones will slot back into the second row,” said the Raiders coach. “When Danny has been coming off the bench he’s been really solid for us, so I’ve got no problems with that.
“Kurt has been one of the standout players so far this season and he will be a miss for us, but I also think he will only continue to get better once we iron a few things out within the team and we can start playing as a unit.”
Jones’s promotion from the bench would leave a space in the 17-man squad to be filled by someone not involved on Sunday.
Holt has ruled out bringing in one of recuperating pack trio Jamie Butler, Ruairi McGoff or Jack Spencer back, however, not wanting to risk them on a tough assignment at Post Office Road.
“A game at Featherstone, one like this, there is no point rushing anybody back,” he said.
“Stick them on the bench and they might have to come on after two minutes due to injury and they might set themselves back. Nobody will be risked, but we will be going down there with a strong side to have a go at them.”
He added: “All four (of the injured players, including winger Tom Brannon) are back in full training now. Jamie Butler’s hand, he just needs to get that confidence back through contact work and things like that.
“Ruairi’s knee is coming along, but it’s fitness work with Ruairi, and Jack Spencer is raring to go, but he needs to get the all-clear with his foot.
“We’re probably identifying the Workington game as the comeback game for a glut of players.”
First published at 15:59, Thursday, 14 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|