Barrow Raiders swap their boots for bikes
Last updated at 11:47, Sunday, 30 December 2012
BARROW Raiders swapped boots for bikes in their latest workout session.
With rain lashing down on Thursday during one of the wettest years on record, coach Darren Holt took advantage of the indoor facilities at Barrow’s DW Sports Fitness Club to put his squad through their paces.
The visit follows hot on the heels of an intense boxing workout under the watchful eye of Barrow Amateur Boxing Club coach Jeff Moses and his assistants at their Brook Street base.
It is the second time in recent weeks the Raiders have visited DW, a venue which they have used for the past two years.
The group was split into two with them each having sessions of spinning and bodyweight exercises. Holt said: “It’s gone very well. We do a lot of cardio work, spinning classes, a lot of circuits and some weight training.
“A lot of the boys go in their own time doing their own stuff, but it is nice to get everybody together doing sessions in the gym, especially with the weather we had last night.
“On cold night like that I think they would rather be inside than outside.
“They have been working hard and seem to be enjoying it. It helps mix up the training as well.”
Duane Gaitskell, a personal trainer at DW who helped in the training session, said: “I think they enjoyed it, they gave it a lot of effort. I noticed a good sense of camaraderie between the boys.”
lCaptain fantastic Liam Harrison is among five top performers in the running for the Championship One player of the year accolade in the Rugby Leaguer and League Express awards.
Harrison had a tremendous 2012 season which saw him win the Barrow Borough Sports Council Sportsperson of the Year award.
The second-row forward was earlier awarded the RL World Championship One Player-of-the-Year, plus the Player-of-the-Year, Evening Mail Player-of-the-Year, Supporters’ Player-of-the-Year and Players’ Player-of-the-Year awards, as well as the Yorkie Coyle Memorial Shield at the Raiders end-of-year awards night.
Darren Holt has been shortlisted for the league’s Coach of the Year award. Voting forms can be found inside the RL paper or online at totalrl.com
First published at 13:13, Sunday, 23 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|