Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Saturday, 04 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Barrow Raiders well beaten on Championship return



WELCOME back to the Championship Barrow Raiders – it’s not quite as you remember it.

Two seasons since they were seen as one of the main challengers in the division, Barrow came down to earth with a bump in their first game since promotion.

Against Hunslet Hawks, a side far from being among the best in the league, they were distinctly second-best, outplayed for the majority and well-beaten come the final whistle.

The size of the task facing Barrow this season was evident from the off as they were unable to take the ball out of their own half for the first eight minutes.

Instead, they were having to defend their line from concerted attacks, with Leeds Rhinos dual-reg centre Jimmy Keinhorst only just dragged into touch by Max Wiper and Adam Clay before he could ground in the corner.

Barrow were also shown that their tendency to gift the opposition soft penalties in key areas would be punished this year as last, with their first for offside leading to Danny Grimshaw crossing on the left, throwing a dummy and diving over.

The trick was almost repeated through Liam Welham, but as he dived for the whitewash, his score was chalked off as the touch judge called a forward pass.

Raiders were struggling to make any forward ground at all in the opening 20 minutes, thankful that their hosts were not making greater advantage of their possession and territorial dominance.

Barrow’s defence was looking strong – too strong as debutant Matthew Haggarty caught David March with a high tackle sparking a brawl for which Lee Haney and Lee Brickwood could count themselves lucky not to be sin-binned.
One area of the game greatly improved with Sean Casey’s acquisition from Leeds is Barrow’s long kicking and a 40-20 almost set up their first try of the campaign.

After three tackles of probing, Kurt Haggerty sent Lee Haney in at the corner, but his pass was rightly called forward by referee Jamie Leahy.

Straight down the other end the Hawks went, with Adam Clay doing well to bring down Waine Price as he broke down the wing.

But Hunslet kept coming and Tommy Haughey was able to bulldoze over Liam Campbell and Max Wiper on the line to double their advantage to 8-0.

Raiders had to try and make their game more expansive as their option of running from the first man failed, but whenever they let flair take over, the ball found a way to ground, passes being made just that little too quickly.

Another offside penalty meant another try for the home side, Steve Lewis going through a gap in the defence as the Barrow line anticipated too early and left a big hole for the forward to walk through. At 14-0 down, things were not looking good and picking a bright spot from the first half was a difficult task for the visitors – they needed better from the second 40 minutes if they were to leave with anything positive.

Instead, the Hawks flew out of the traps, with Helliwell, Grimshaw and Liam Welham breaking from their own half and scattering the Barrow defence, a pass to Price going to ground.

The pressure seemed to be gone, but Campbell knocked on trying to pick up the loose ball and Hunslet were in when Helliwell put a grubber towards the posts and the Raiders defence were rooted to the spot as it ricocheted back into his path and he walked in.

There was a danger of a whitewash, but Barrow could have come straight back as Wiper broke down the left with Campbell and Casey inside in support, only to hold on too long and put the ball behind them, wasting the best chance of the afternoon.

Hunslet showed no such wastefulness and they scored a fifth try of the afternoon as Keinhorst picked up a loose ball near the line and strolled through five men in a non-existent defence.

Finally, with an hour gone, Barrow finally found a way through.

After a Hawks knock-on, the visitors took play to the line and this time over it as Haggerty took a pass near the posts and went over.

It could have been a brief relief, but a second score followed as Clay intercepted inside his own half and outsprinted Price, racing 60 yards to make it 24-12.

Was the game now on? If it was, the last thing Barrow needed was a knock-on from the kick-off, but a mix-up between Campbell and Brad Brennan meant they got just that and they were punished as Dave Clayton collected a dabbed David March kick and restored the home momentum.

Barrow also needed Clay to take a cut-out pass on the wing which would have sent him away, but the former Leigh man failed to take it and the Hawks saw Welham held before Grimshaw grabbed his second by weaving through the defence on the left.

Keinhorst also made it a brace as he plucked an ambitious Campbell pass from the air and ran 90 metres with the clock ticking down.

If Barrow weren’t aware of the size of the task facing them in the Championship before the weekend, they certainly are now.

The momentum and good vibes they had hoped to take from the start of the campaign now belong to the Hawks and Raiders have to lift themselves massively for the visit of Doncaster this weekend.

A much-improved performance is a must then, else Barrow could find themselves in a worrying position so early in the campaign.

Hunslet Hawks Starting XIII: Stuart Kain, Waine Price, Jimmy Keinhorst, Liam Welham, Lee Brickwood, Danny Grimshaw, Luke Helliwell, Luke Menzies, Luke Haigh, James Houston, Tommy Haughey, John Oakes, David March.
Substitutes (all used): Liam Hood, Dave Clayton, Andy Yates, Steve Lewis.

Barrow Raiders Starting XIII: Dean McGilvray, Lee Haney, Max Wiper, Aaron Low, Adam Clay, Sean Casey, Liam Campbell, Brad Brennan, James Dandy, Matthew Haggarty, Liam Harrison, Kurt Haggerty, Dan Toal.
Substitutes (all used): Liam Finch, Andrew Dawson, Danny Jones, Mike Whitehead.

Referee: Jamie Leahy.


10 MINUTES: Danny Grimshaw try, 4-0.
26 MINUTES: Tommy Haughey try, 8-0.
35 MINUTES: Steve Lewis try, Luke Helliwell conversion, 14-0.
44 MINUTES: Helliwell try and conversion, 20-0.
52 MINUTES: Jimmy Keinhorst try, 24-0.
59 MINUTES: Kurt Haggerty try, Sean Casey conversion, 24-6.
62 MINUTES: Adam Clay try, Casey conversion, 24-12.
66 MINUTES: David Clayton try, David March conversion, 30-12.
71 MINUTES: Grimsahw try, March conversion, 36-12.
76 MINUTES: Keinhorst try, March conversion, 42-12.

Have your say

George... They need us right now???? How many times have we heard that one ?? Haha... Que the 'Bring a friend' Etc.

Posted by Jesus H on 5 February 2013 at 20:38

Tyipical doom merchant Barrovians, Its 1 game , get a grip were lucky to still have a club after (wrecking ball Des) Consolidation & avoiding relegation is the key this season, As for whoever said Barrow's crowds are always poor, Go back to school chum!! Our crowds were 4th best outside of SL last season, Despite being in the lowest division.

Posted by Baz Eye on 5 February 2013 at 17:43

View all 11 comments on this article

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Are you enjoying the hot weather?



Show Result


Is it time to rethink who sits in the House of Lords?



Show Result

Resource Cumbria

The Forum

F. Dickinson footwear

Homes and gardens 22

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out