Race for superfast broadband goes on
Published at 13:36, Tuesday, 15 May 2012
A DECISION on awarding the contract to supply Cumbria with superfast broadband has been delayed until June.
It was way back in October 2010 that the government first announced that Cumbria had been picked as one of four pilot areas eligible for a multi-million pound subsidy to bring superfast broadband to rural areas.
Initially, it had been thought work on the project would begin in summer 2011, but it has been hit by repeated delays, as it has in the other pilot areas.
The county council has been tasked with running the project and awarding the contract and is keen to take some credit for improvement’s in broadband provision within Cumbria’s main towns.
A spokesman said: “Part of the county’s strategy has been to try attract private sector investment, particularly into the urban parts of Cumbria.
“This strategy has been successful and so far we have been able to attract and secure private sector investment into superfast broadband facilities for Penrith, Carlisle, Kendal and, very recently, Barrow and Workington.”
These have all been investments by BT which, along with Fujitsu, is bidding for the subsidy to roll-out superfast broadband across to every home in Cumbria.
The county council says these developments have impacted on the procurement process, creating a “constantly changing environment as the new investment announcements have been made”.
The spokesman added: “With this in mind, some additional time has been agreed with the two final bidders so that they are able to refine and complete their final tenders – making sure that they take account of these recent announcements.
“This means that the contract award decision will now be taken to the county council’s cabinet in June 2012. The most important issue for Cumbria is to make sure we take the time that is needed to get the best final tenders in from the two final bidders – BT and Fujitsu – for the long-term interests for the county.”
BT declined to comment on the delays to the Cumbria broadband project, but a spokesman for Fujitsu told in-Cumbria that it was still negotiating with the government’s broadband delivery agency, BDUK.
“We are still in the negotiating process. Our preferred route forward is to take fibre to the home, but the funding allocated is not able to cover that so we are in discussion with BDUK,” he said.
Published by http://www.in-cumbria.com
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (34 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (15 comments)
- Pub giant responds to empty Walney building alert (3 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss to learn of licence fate today (4 comments)
- Meeting to determine "suitability" of Dalton zoo boss taking place today (3 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|