Police issue Uppies & Downies warning
Published at 01:00, Friday, 21 April 2006
POLICE have issued urgent safety advice in advance of tomorrow’s uppies and downies final rubber after Tuesday’s game spilled over into the town centre.
They advise visitors to take care where they park and they advise children and their parents to beware of getting caught up in what will be a rough and physical encounter.
And they have also asked players to try and keep the ball out of the town centre and especially out of the building site on which the town’s multi-storey car park is currently under construction.
“We have no interest in trying to bring an end to a Workington tradition but our primary concern has to be the protection of life and in making sure that people are safe and property is protected,” said Workington Inspector Kevin Greenhow.
“The game is fluid and unpredictable, it might go straight in to the river and come nowhere near the town.
“But in case it does, we would advise all those who park vehicles - especially bingo players who park at Brow Top - to think this Saturday about leaving their car at home and getting a lift or a taxi or a bus.
“And we would ask players to think seriously about following the ball if it get in to the building site, which has many hidden dangers.
“The sensible thing would be for the bulding site to be considered out of bounds and to recover the ball from there and re-start the game somewhere safer.”
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Big swing would be required for red Barrow seat to change colour
- More than 120 Cumbria and Lancashire jobs at risk
- Cumbria rescuers called to 69-year-old man stuck on mountain
- Warning of traders selling mattresses door to door in Barrow
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (5 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|