Police issue Uppies & Downies warning
Published at 01:00, Friday, 21 April 2006
POLICE have issued urgent safety advice in advance of tomorrow’s uppies and downies final rubber after Tuesday’s game spilled over into the town centre.
They advise visitors to take care where they park and they advise children and their parents to beware of getting caught up in what will be a rough and physical encounter.
And they have also asked players to try and keep the ball out of the town centre and especially out of the building site on which the town’s multi-storey car park is currently under construction.
“We have no interest in trying to bring an end to a Workington tradition but our primary concern has to be the protection of life and in making sure that people are safe and property is protected,” said Workington Inspector Kevin Greenhow.
“The game is fluid and unpredictable, it might go straight in to the river and come nowhere near the town.
“But in case it does, we would advise all those who park vehicles - especially bingo players who park at Brow Top - to think this Saturday about leaving their car at home and getting a lift or a taxi or a bus.
“And we would ask players to think seriously about following the ball if it get in to the building site, which has many hidden dangers.
“The sensible thing would be for the bulding site to be considered out of bounds and to recover the ball from there and re-start the game somewhere safer.”
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|