Peacocks reopens in Workington
Last updated at 07:32, Friday, 04 May 2012
Workington's Peacocks store will reopen tomorrow, more than two months after its sudden closure.
The Murray Road clothes shop will open at 9am following a rescue deal by Edinburgh Woollen Mill.
It closed suddenly in February, with the loss of 13 jobs, after its parent company went bust.
More than 380 of the chain’s shops were taken over by Edinburgh Woollen Mill but the Workington branch was one of 224 stores not included in the deal.
But since then the firm, which is owned by Philip Day, of Brampton, has bought the shop.
Thirteen staff have been taken on, most of whom worked there before it closed.
Julie Williamson, who has been re-employed as assistant manager, said: “When I got the phone call last Friday to say it was reopening I was ecstatic.”
Russell Skene, regional manager, was handed the keys on Tuesday and took delivery of stock on Wednesday.
He said: “It’s been great to re-employ people who were unfortunate to be made redundant.
“We have tried to retain the Peacocks image.”
Steve Simpson, commercial director, who was born in Cockermouth, will cut a ribbon to reopen the store tomorrow.
A DJ will play in the store at about 11.30am to mark the opening.
First published at 06:10, Friday, 04 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow AFC boost title bid with comfortable win (6 comments)
- Two climbers suffer serious falls in Lake District (2 comments)
- Woman stole handbag while owner danced in Barrow pub (4 comments)
- Barrow Raiders send Keighley packing (1 comment)
- Care firm boss sets out stall for new Cumbria recruits (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|