Open day at Gretna's new Courtship Maze attraction
Last updated at 15:07, Friday, 01 June 2012
A new attraction has opened at a world-famous tourist hotspot.
And locals are being invited along to try and find their way around it for free.
The Courtship Maze is the newest feature at the Gretna Green Famous Blacksmiths Shop complex.
In keeping with the romantic surroundings in which it can be found, the maze is in the shape of two interlocking wedding bands.
On Tuesday, the attraction is holding an open day, which includes free entry to the maze and the Gretna Green Story exhibition, inside the blacksmith’s cottage at the site.
Both developments are operated by family-run firm Gretna Green Limited.
Operations director Brian Douglas said: “We would like to welcome as may locals as possible, and by local we mean anyone living in Dumfries and Galloway or across Cumbria, to come and visit.
“Hopefully, once they discover all the attractions we offer, including the shopping features, they will recommend a visit when they have friends and relatives visiting.”
One of the first visitors to try out the maze was Courtney Copland, this year’s Miss Valentine in Gretna, Rigg, Springfield and Gretna Green. She visited with mum Laura, who said: “For adults it is a lovely place to explore and for children I think they will love the chance to simply run round and enjoy trying to hide from parents.
“You also get an amazing view once you reach the centre, where the two separate pathways meet, and climb the steps on to the bridge.”
Another strand of Gretna Green Limited has had triple awards success.
Smiths Hotel won the accolades at the annual Scottish Hotel Awards.
Head chef Stephen Myers received Hotel Executive Chef Medaille d’ Or, Michelle Hall won wedding planner of the year and the general manager Darren Lloyd was named business manager of the year.
Company chairman Alasdair Houston said: “Smiths has been a regular winner at the hotel awards since opening in 2006.
“Winning three awards this year, which cover the three main areas of the business, is a great achievement and I am proud of the whole team.”
First published at 14:10, Friday, 01 June 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college (1 comment)
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third (4 comments)
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together