One in three north west retailers at risk of failure
Last updated at 14:56, Wednesday, 23 January 2013
Nearly one-in-three retailers in the north west, including Cumbria, are at risk of failure within the next 12 months.
That is the view of R3, the trade body for insolvency professionals.
Its figures suggest that almost 3,500 retail businesses – or 30 per cent – are on the brink.
Jeremy Oddie, regional chair of R3 and head of recoveries at accountant Mitchell Charlesworth, said that January was a high-risk time for retailers.
He added: “R3’s figures show that – over the past two years – nearly half of all jobs and stores have been saved during major retail failures, thanks to the UK’s flexible insolvency regime. However, we do need to be honest and realistic in establishing a tipping point where resuscitation is impossible.”
Recent failures have included Comet, Jessops, HMV and Blockbuster.
Mr Oddie believes that one-in-10 retail businesses are “zombie businesses”, kept afloat only by the forbearance of their banks and low interest rates.
He said: “The big retailers we have recently seen enter administration were known to have been in a precarious situation for some time.
“The high street is having to re-define itself, and many chains have been shedding stores to create a more workable business model.
“This process could reach a natural conclusion at some point in the year ahead, although we expect a few more major insolvencies in the meantime.”
First published at 14:54, Wednesday, 23 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targeted by vandals
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together