North Cumbrian flour mill for sale
Last updated at 15:10, Tuesday, 15 May 2012
A unique opportunity has arisen to nurture a ‘flour-ing’ business.
The Watermill, at Little Salkeld near Penrith, a working 18th century flour mill, is up for sale.
The site, which also features a three-bedroom mill house, an award-winning tearoom and a seven acre smallholding is on the market with Carlisle estate agent Edwin Thompson.
John Haley, associate partner at Edwin Thompson, said: “This is a rare opportunity to purchase an attractive piece of history with an established and profitable business.
“The sale includes the mill and associated flour producing business, the attractive house and the tearoom which was awarded the Teashop of the Year 2012 in the Cumbria Life Food and Drink awards.
“This is a lifestyle which will appeal to many people who will enjoy the sustainable smallholding and continue to look after the heritage of the Watermill.”
The business has been run by Nick and Ana Jones since 1974.
Mrs Jones said: “It has been a pleasure and a privilege living and working at the Watermill but it is now time to hand it on to new owners.
“Our profitable and sustainable flour business is continued in the tearoom where we mostly use our own ingredients to provide high quality homemade products.
“We’ve developed the mill and adjoining buildings to provide a unique educational experience for all age groups.”
Little Salkeld Watermill is a member of the Traditional Cornmillers Guild, which supports and promotes artisan flour milling by water or wind power.
It has the capacity to mill more than 100 tonnes a year.
Mr Jones said: “Traditional mills are very much in the news.”
First published at 13:38, Tuesday, 15 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|