WWII hero who silenced Beatles reaches century
Last updated at 17:16, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
HE took to the skies to defend the country in the Second World War and he’s known in America as the man who silenced the Beatles – but on his 100th birthday he was enjoying a much calmer way of life.
Born 100 years ago yesterday, Cyril Spibey has enjoyed a long and exciting life but now spends his days in the tranquility of the South Lakes. On the day before his age hit triple figures, he was treated to a birthday bash at the Farmers Arms in Lowick.
Mr Spibey’s family surprised him with old friends he knew when he lived in Lancashire and memories from his days in Bomber Command.
Despite modestly describing his time with the Wellington and, later, Lancaster Bombers as “very unexciting”, he recalled having to make a crash landing on one occasion.
He also remembers successfully guiding his squadron back home in pitch darkness and despite the light on the airstrip having been turned off.
Mr Spibey said: “We were coming back once and I said ‘the runway is dead ahead’ and the others said ‘there are no lights’.”
When they called the airfield to get the lights switched back on, his navigational instincts were shown to be spot on.
Mr Spibey volunteered in 1941 and was called up to the squadron in 1943, where he attained the rank of warrant officer.
Either side of his stint as a navigator, he was in charge of more than 200 people at a cotton mill in Accrington where he famously threatened his staff with turning off the jukebox if they continued to scream when the Beatles were playing.
When he finally lost his patience with the screaming women in the mill, Mr Spibey unplugged the jukebox, prompting a mass walk-out.
The story saw him hit the headlines at home and across the pond, where he was dubbed “the man brave enough to silence The Beatles”.
Mr Spibey, who continued driving until he was 98, moved to the South Lakes six years ago to be nearer to his family and now lives at Hollow Oak Nursing Home at Haverthwaite. Son Gale Spibey, who lives near Arrad Foot with his wife Linda, said the party had been a big hit and “couldn’t have gone better”.
First published at 16:24, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Inquest into Windermere sailor's death to take place today
- Police appeal after man attacked by three people in Barrow back street
- Zero hour changes given mixed welcome by Barrow firms
- Man swipes rucksack in Barrow
- Thomas The Tank Engine’s birthday has special significance for Cumbria
- Roadworks on A595 near Sellafield to start next week
- M6 lane reopens after multi-vehicle accident
- Girl airlifted to hospital after horse fall in Cumbria
- Haverigg cellmates on ‘Chicken Wing’ hatch cracking business plan
- WITH VIDEO: South Cumbria ‘Cinderella’ star wows Britain’s Got Talent judges
- Barrow Raiders unveil new youth plans (2 comments)
- Windermere win for Silecroft and Barrow trio
- Medal magic for Barrow martial arts masters
- Barrow Striders leap to success
- Stan shines for Walney in Ulverston League
- Walney fishing comp offers up £1,000 prize
- Moffatt in Fantasy land at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Record prize money on offer for Cartmel in 2015
- Grand National winner plots Cartmel success
- Walney beat Millom in Barton Townley Cup thriller
- Reply pleasing and surprising
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- From trenches to Dunkirk role
- Sad end for village lad who lasted 24 days in trenches
- Soldiers facing a daily struggle
- Three dozen killed in hospital ship attack
- Shock to system as men from India face snow
- Sub-aqua delivery on stamp anniversary
- WEDDING ALBUM: Michelle Fredericks and Matthew Wilson
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|