Worker hurt in robbery bid
Published at 16:19, Wednesday, 02 January 2013
A SHOP worker was injured in a scuffle with a would-be robber in Barrow yesterday morning.
Police say the assailant entered Greengate Street News, on the corner of Greengate Street and Rawlinson Street, Barrow, at 10am.
The man, believed to be in his early 20s and wearing a grey tracksuit, concealed his face before threatening a male member of staff and demanding money from the till.
The victim received minor injuries during a scuffle with the unarmed robber, who left the shop without any money and was last seen running down Rawlinson Street, in the direction of Abbey Road.
It isn’t the first time a shop worker at Greengate Street News has been injured by would-be thieves.
In April last year Brian Simpson, owner of Greengate Street News, was punched by a drunken man during a burglary at the shop. And in November a shop assistant at McDougall News, also in Rawlinson Street, was left shaken after the store was held up at knife point.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Barrow CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|