Woman lashed out over ‘ugly’ boy comment
Published at 10:33, Saturday, 02 June 2012
A FACEBOOK jibe over her “ugly” three-year-old spurred a woman to assault his detractor in a Barrow nightclub.
By Giles Brown
Furness Magistrates’ Court heard matters got out of hand after the comments were made on the social networking website about Natalie Hogg’s son.
Miss Judith Knott, prosecuting, said Hogg, 21, of Conway Gardens, Barrow, and her victim Nicola Dougan had been involved in “name calling” on Facebook.
Although she did not know Hogg by sight, Miss Dougan had became involved with a man whose previous girlfriend was friends with her.
This had sparked the internet exchange, Miss Knott said.
She said: “During the exchange, Nicola Dougan called Miss Hogg’s son ugly.”
On April 29 both women were in Club M, in Cornwallis Street, Barrow, when Hogg walked up to Miss Dougan and asked to speak to her in the toilets.
CCTV footage from the club showed the pair talking on the edge of the dancefloor, before Hogg grabbed Miss Dougan by the hair and pulled her to the ground.
She was pushed away, but then walked back towards Miss Dougan and swung her arm at her, Miss Knott said. A fight then ensued with both women pulling each other’s hair, she added.
Mike Graham, defending, said Hogg had gone over to “remonstrate” about the Facebook insult before the fight occurred.
Miss Dougan had thrown a can at Hogg during the incident, he said.
He said: “(Hogg) realises what she did was wrong and she is both ashamed and embarrassed by what happened.”
Hogg pleaded guilty to a charge of assault by beating when she appeared in court on Thursday.
Chairman of the magistrates, Mr George Butler, ordered her to do 80 hours of unpaid work and pay £50 compensation to Miss Dougan, as well as paying £85 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- South Cumbria girl gets first in line for thrills on dream holiday of a lifetime
- WITH VIDEOS: Crowds lap up Barrow music festival fun in the sun
- Man's body found on Barrow beach - next of kin of missing Manchester man informed
- See the action on TV
- Talented Barrow athlete in running to train with Olympic star
- Man cheats death in Walney Channel rescue
- Drunk man threatens Barrow shop staff
- Trust which runs Barrow hospital beats infection-free record
- Fears over ‘disgraceful’ cuts to Millom teenage support services
- Couple embroiled in row over Barrow train station disabled parking fine
- Walney beat Millom in Barton Townley Cup thriller
- Magic Maj takes all 10 wickets for Ulverston CC
- Bushby buzzing after winning golf's Evening Mail Open
- McKinley's delight after his golden moment for Walney Cents
- Barrow CC attack destroy Netherfield
- Record prize money on offer for Cartmel in 2015
- Grand National winner plots Cartmel success
- Adopted Cumbrian Ben blasts fastest Test ton at Lord's
- Raiders ace Wiper desperate for return
- Added sparkle for Cartmel ladies race
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- Sub-aqua delivery on stamp anniversary
- WEDDING ALBUM: Michelle Fredericks and Matthew Wilson
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
- Countdown to December
- Price tag of £800 for the perfect pint
- Golden era of the variety acts gets return to stage
- Rail station mix-up brought firm to town
- Church pulls in drinkers
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Slovenia
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|