Woman lashed out over ‘ugly’ boy comment
Published at 10:33, Saturday, 02 June 2012
A FACEBOOK jibe over her “ugly” three-year-old spurred a woman to assault his detractor in a Barrow nightclub.
By Giles Brown
Furness Magistrates’ Court heard matters got out of hand after the comments were made on the social networking website about Natalie Hogg’s son.
Miss Judith Knott, prosecuting, said Hogg, 21, of Conway Gardens, Barrow, and her victim Nicola Dougan had been involved in “name calling” on Facebook.
Although she did not know Hogg by sight, Miss Dougan had became involved with a man whose previous girlfriend was friends with her.
This had sparked the internet exchange, Miss Knott said.
She said: “During the exchange, Nicola Dougan called Miss Hogg’s son ugly.”
On April 29 both women were in Club M, in Cornwallis Street, Barrow, when Hogg walked up to Miss Dougan and asked to speak to her in the toilets.
CCTV footage from the club showed the pair talking on the edge of the dancefloor, before Hogg grabbed Miss Dougan by the hair and pulled her to the ground.
She was pushed away, but then walked back towards Miss Dougan and swung her arm at her, Miss Knott said. A fight then ensued with both women pulling each other’s hair, she added.
Mike Graham, defending, said Hogg had gone over to “remonstrate” about the Facebook insult before the fight occurred.
Miss Dougan had thrown a can at Hogg during the incident, he said.
He said: “(Hogg) realises what she did was wrong and she is both ashamed and embarrassed by what happened.”
Hogg pleaded guilty to a charge of assault by beating when she appeared in court on Thursday.
Chairman of the magistrates, Mr George Butler, ordered her to do 80 hours of unpaid work and pay £50 compensation to Miss Dougan, as well as paying £85 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together