Woman dies on rail line after being hit by train
Published at 16:38, Thursday, 20 December 2012
By Ian DunstanA WOMAN has died after being struck by a train near Millom station.
Emergency services were called to Moor Farm crossing yesterday.
British Transport Police confirmed the woman had died at the scene.
Police said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the incident.
The train was heading towards Carlisle, from Barrow, when the driver made an emergency call to say a person had been struck about half a mile past Millom station.
A North West Ambulance spokeswoman confirmed they were called at 1.14pm, shortly after the British Transport Police were called to the scene.
A BTP spokeswoman told the Evening Mail: “BTP officers attended the line close to Millom rail station , in Cumbria, on Wednesday, following a report of a person being struck by a train.
“The incident was reported to BTP at 1.11pm and is currently being treated as non-suspicious.
“Officers from Cumbria Constabulary also attended alongside medics from North West Ambulance Service, but the person was pronounced dead at the scene.
“We are now working to establish the identity of the person, and inform their next of kin.
“A file will be prepared for the coroner.”
A Northern Rail spokeswoman said alternative transport was arranged for passengers and the driver and train crew would receive help following the incident.
She said: “In terms of train crew we have a care process that is instigated in any situation like this.
“Road transport was put in place between Barrow and Sellafield.”
The North West Air Ambulance Service was also called to the scene.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court today for sentencing
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|