Woman dies on rail line after being hit by train
Published at 16:38, Thursday, 20 December 2012
By Ian DunstanA WOMAN has died after being struck by a train near Millom station.
Emergency services were called to Moor Farm crossing yesterday.
British Transport Police confirmed the woman had died at the scene.
Police said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the incident.
The train was heading towards Carlisle, from Barrow, when the driver made an emergency call to say a person had been struck about half a mile past Millom station.
A North West Ambulance spokeswoman confirmed they were called at 1.14pm, shortly after the British Transport Police were called to the scene.
A BTP spokeswoman told the Evening Mail: “BTP officers attended the line close to Millom rail station , in Cumbria, on Wednesday, following a report of a person being struck by a train.
“The incident was reported to BTP at 1.11pm and is currently being treated as non-suspicious.
“Officers from Cumbria Constabulary also attended alongside medics from North West Ambulance Service, but the person was pronounced dead at the scene.
“We are now working to establish the identity of the person, and inform their next of kin.
“A file will be prepared for the coroner.”
A Northern Rail spokeswoman said alternative transport was arranged for passengers and the driver and train crew would receive help following the incident.
She said: “In terms of train crew we have a care process that is instigated in any situation like this.
“Road transport was put in place between Barrow and Sellafield.”
The North West Air Ambulance Service was also called to the scene.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- South Lakes Wild Animal Park boss tells his own story (27 comments)
- Names found for the classmates of 1952
- MP backs call to save South Cumbria pub (11 comments)
- Naked men seen walking through Dalton (15 comments)
- South Cumbria wag to return to our screens in The Real Housewives of Cheshire
- Hundreds turn out to see the newest nightclub in Barrow (16 comments)
- Medal double for Ulverston sprinter Simpson
- Bill’s beach is brought to life
- Application made for 80 homes on land next to Dalton primary school (2 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|