Windermere garage fined after mechanic burned
Last updated at 16:43, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
A WINDERMERE garage has been fined after a mechanic was badly burned while trying to cut the top off an empty oil drum.
The 26-year-old local man was using a propane torch to remove the lid when the remaining oil inside the drum set alight, causing an explosion. He suffered burns to his hands and arms, and was kept in hospital for five days.
The owner of Windermere Auto Centre, Kankku Ltd, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive following the incident at the Victoria Street garage on July 27, 2011.
Kendal Magistrates’ Court heard employees at the garage cut the tops off empty oil drums once every three months so they could be used to store scrap metal.
However, the company failed to consider the risk of the propane torch creating and igniting a vapour from the small amount of oil remaining in the drums.
Kankku Ltd pleaded guilty to failing to minimise the risks to which employees were exposed.
The company, of Victoria Street in Windermere, was fined £6,000 and was ordered to pay £4,746 costs and £500 in compensation to the injured worker, who was not named.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Anthony Banks said: “There were several ways the top could have been cut off the oil drum safely, but the company should have considered whether it needed to do this in the first place. It would have been much more sensible to use another container to store scrap metal at the garage, rather than using a drum which still had small amounts of a flammable substance inside.
“Sadly, these types of incidents are all too common, and it’s only luck that the mechanic wasn’t more seriously injured or even killed in the explosion.”
Information on flammable substances is at hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion.
First published at 13:43, Tuesday, 15 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (3 comments)
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|