Wife of soldier killed at Cumbria training base pays tribute to her 'soul mate'
Last updated at 11:09, Friday, 06 June 2014
A SOLDIER who died after a vehicle rolled over at an army training centre in Cumbria has been named.
He has been named as Sergeant Mark Foley, 31, a member of The Light Dragoons, from Hull, and a father-of-two.
The North West Air Ambulance (NWAA) was called at 11.01am on Wednesday after a ‘vehicle rolled over’ at the Warcop Training Centre, near Appleby.
A NWAA spokesman said a helicopter, rapid response vehicle and ambulance attended but one man was pronounced dead at the scene.
A second casualty was airlifted to the James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough by the Great North Air Aumbulance.
The third casualty is understood to have remained at the base.
A spokesman for the British Army confirmed that one soldier had died in a training accident and two others had been injured and the matter was ‘under investigation’.
Paying tribute to her husband, Kelly Foley said: "He was my soul mate and my best friend, who always made me laugh. The best dad ever to Emily and Hannah. He loved us, his job and Hull FC. We will miss him so much."
Sergeant Foley's commanding officer, Lieutenant Colonel James Senior, said: "Sergeant Foley was an exceptionally talented, battle-hardened soldier who embodied everything that is good about our profession.
"A consummate professional, he delivered on operations time and time again, accumulating huge experience on the way. Always inquisitive and engaging, Sgt Foley was at the heart of everything his troop did, everything his squadron did, everything the Regiment did.
"Whether in the dust of Helmand Province or the troop store at our Regiment's home in Norfolk, he was the man people turned to for advice and guidance.
"Sgt Foley made an astonishing contribution to our Regimental family, and his loss is a devastating shock. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife and young family."
First published at 17:28, Wednesday, 04 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (3 comments)
- Trident rally wraps scarf around MoD (12 comments)
- Strike planned by health workers from Furness General may be averted (2 comments)
- Failings over maternity care at trust which runs FGH in Barrow ‘could have led to 30 deaths’ (2 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|