Weapons seized in Barrow as armed police swoop
Last updated at 16:22, Wednesday, 27 February 2013
ARMED police were deployed, five people were arrested and drugs and weapons were seized after a man was seen with a gun in Barrow.
Twelve police, including armed officers and a dog handler, swooped on Island Road shortly after 9pm on Monday following reports of a man carrying a gun.
“Someone rang up just after 9pm and said ‘I have seen three lads and I think one of them had a gun’,” said Detective Inspector Rob O’Connor.
“We responded to it by sending down armed and unarmed officers and we found the three lads and all three have been detained.
“We saw them go into a house and once they left the house we detained them.”
A gun and knife were found when the men were arrested in Schooner Street at 9.40pm.
Thirty-five minutes later the police searched a house in Anchor Road, where a man and a woman were arrested and an imitation firearm and drugs were found.
Yesterday another man was arrested in Barrow town centre between 3am and 3.30am.
Four men aged 40, 45, 39 and 54 and a 23-year-old woman, all from Barrow, were last night in custody on suspicion of offences including possession of a loaded firearm in a public place, possession of a controlled drug, possession of an offensive weapon and possession of an imitation firearm.
DI O’Connor added: “Thankfully these incidents are very rare and we have taken positive action by recovering the firearms immediately and arresting people quickly.”
Anyone who may have seen three males together in the area of the Co-op store in Island Road just after 9pm on Monday is being asked to come forward and contact DI O’Connor on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
First published at 16:11, Wednesday, 27 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- UPDATE: Man named as Windermere murder investigation continues
- Police investigating fail to stop road traffic collision in Barrow
- Police investigate Ulverston equestrian centre burglary
- Barrow teen hid bat in his shorts while on plant food
- Barrow council to recover costs of beached car removal
- Sacrifices may be needed to save Cumbria maternity services
- Cumbria bus strike threat looms if talks over working hours fail
- Last respects paid to Millom poppymaker Mary
- Barrow MP among 19 to have had parliamentary credit card suspended
- Barrow woman attacked husband after cider-drinking binge
- Barrow karate kid is magic on the mat: WITH PICTURE GALLERY
- Junior girls football league seeking to build on strong campaign
- Barrow ASC earn Diddy League title
- Cents bid to end their final hoodoo
- Furness ace Natasha scores hole-in-one
- Dalton chef Dave serves up a golfing treat
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success (1 comment)
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow football fan banned after shouting abuse (1 comment)
- Cumbria rail provider: Hamster, false teeth and Barry Manilow CD among lost items (1 comment)
- Barrovian's World Cup brace helps England smash Japan
- 'Unacceptable' 100-mile round journeys for Barrow disability assessments (1 comment)
- A590 path repair project announced (1 comment)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|