Weapons seized in Barrow as armed police swoop
Last updated at 16:22, Wednesday, 27 February 2013
ARMED police were deployed, five people were arrested and drugs and weapons were seized after a man was seen with a gun in Barrow.
Twelve police, including armed officers and a dog handler, swooped on Island Road shortly after 9pm on Monday following reports of a man carrying a gun.
“Someone rang up just after 9pm and said ‘I have seen three lads and I think one of them had a gun’,” said Detective Inspector Rob O’Connor.
“We responded to it by sending down armed and unarmed officers and we found the three lads and all three have been detained.
“We saw them go into a house and once they left the house we detained them.”
A gun and knife were found when the men were arrested in Schooner Street at 9.40pm.
Thirty-five minutes later the police searched a house in Anchor Road, where a man and a woman were arrested and an imitation firearm and drugs were found.
Yesterday another man was arrested in Barrow town centre between 3am and 3.30am.
Four men aged 40, 45, 39 and 54 and a 23-year-old woman, all from Barrow, were last night in custody on suspicion of offences including possession of a loaded firearm in a public place, possession of a controlled drug, possession of an offensive weapon and possession of an imitation firearm.
DI O’Connor added: “Thankfully these incidents are very rare and we have taken positive action by recovering the firearms immediately and arresting people quickly.”
Anyone who may have seen three males together in the area of the Co-op store in Island Road just after 9pm on Monday is being asked to come forward and contact DI O’Connor on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
First published at 16:11, Wednesday, 27 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Cumbria rescuers called to 69-year-old man stuck on mountain
- Warning of traders selling mattresses door to door in Barrow
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (5 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
- Bid to revitalise Workington's 'industrial spine' as Eastman plant closes (10 comments)
- Cockermouth Carnival is cancelled (2 comments)
- Mum slims down after fairground ride shame
- Kirstie’s cash support for murder mum’s kids (1 comment)
- HAVE YOUR SAY: Plans for Workington Hall in pipeline (3 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|