Weapons seized in Barrow as armed police swoop
Last updated at 16:22, Wednesday, 27 February 2013
ARMED police were deployed, five people were arrested and drugs and weapons were seized after a man was seen with a gun in Barrow.
Twelve police, including armed officers and a dog handler, swooped on Island Road shortly after 9pm on Monday following reports of a man carrying a gun.
“Someone rang up just after 9pm and said ‘I have seen three lads and I think one of them had a gun’,” said Detective Inspector Rob O’Connor.
“We responded to it by sending down armed and unarmed officers and we found the three lads and all three have been detained.
“We saw them go into a house and once they left the house we detained them.”
A gun and knife were found when the men were arrested in Schooner Street at 9.40pm.
Thirty-five minutes later the police searched a house in Anchor Road, where a man and a woman were arrested and an imitation firearm and drugs were found.
Yesterday another man was arrested in Barrow town centre between 3am and 3.30am.
Four men aged 40, 45, 39 and 54 and a 23-year-old woman, all from Barrow, were last night in custody on suspicion of offences including possession of a loaded firearm in a public place, possession of a controlled drug, possession of an offensive weapon and possession of an imitation firearm.
DI O’Connor added: “Thankfully these incidents are very rare and we have taken positive action by recovering the firearms immediately and arresting people quickly.”
Anyone who may have seen three males together in the area of the Co-op store in Island Road just after 9pm on Monday is being asked to come forward and contact DI O’Connor on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
First published at 16:11, Wednesday, 27 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court tomorrow for sentencing
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|