We have tripled exports to Brazil
Last updated at 13:49, Tuesday, 08 May 2012
MIKE Marklove, 45; director of technology at Expro in Ulverston.
What was your first job?
Besides a summer job working in a cake factory, my first full time job was as High Voltage Power Engineer working at Alstom Engineering Research Centre in Stafford UK.
I started after graduating in 1989.
How did you get your current job?
I started working for Tronic in 1998 having learned about the company whilst working at Alstom in Stafford.
I was interested in the challenge of developing high voltage equipment to work deep under the sea, the technology for which at that time was still in its infancy.
Describe the company you work for in one sentence.
Innovative, forward thinking and always looking for the next big idea.
That’s what’s kept me interested for over 14 years!
How many hours do you work a week?
Typically 40 hours.
How many people are you responsible for?
I’m responsible for assessing new technologies across the whole of C&M (450 people).
What’s your greatest achievement?
Increasing our exports to Brazil by 300 per cent in 18 months during the worst recession in modern times.
What gives you the biggest work buzz?
Doing something that has never been done before or equally doing something that people say can’t be done.
What’s your motto at work?
Be innovative (challenge the norm), have fun doing it and be fair with people.
What’s the best thing about being a boss?
You really get to develop your skills by being challenged in new areas all of the time.
I’ve learned as much about myself in becoming a manager as I have about management.
What’s the worst thing about being a boss?
Having to accept that the optimum solution to a problem isn’t necessarily the best solution or the one that you want, but is a compromise between many conflicting priorities, all of which have to be managed.
What’s your favourite website?
Your first car?
A red Vauxhall Astra.
How do you relax?
I enjoy walking in the Lake District, you can’t help but be relaxed and happy with all that beautiful scenery in front of you!
What’s the best thing about doing business in Cumbria?
Apart from living in the Lake District? The people here are great to work with. Friendly, hard-working and proud of their achievements.
If we arrived at your office today, what item might we be surprised to find on your desk?
A plastic monkey! It reminds me that everyone has a monkey on their back and if you listen carefully enough while they are talking, you’ll hear the monkey chatter.
Something your employees would be surprised to find out about you...
My surname is unusual and can be traced back to 1680 when, after the English civil war, a census of men of “fighting age and stature” was conducted.
First published at 13:26, Tuesday, 08 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|