‘Victim’ on drugs, Barrow rape trial told
Last updated at 16:47, Wednesday, 20 February 2013
A MAN has been accused of raping a girl and subjecting her to sexual abuse.
A jury has told been told that the girl “freaked out” after falling asleep at an address in the Furness area and woke to find David Thomson allegedly touching her.
It has also been claimed that he raped her while she was “out of her head” on ecstasy.
Thomson, 47, of Whinsfield Avenue in the Ormsgill area of Barrow, has gone on trial at Preston Crown Court where he denies a total of eight charges. The indictment includes one count of rape and three counts of sexual activity with a child.
Mr Martin Hackett, prosecuting, said the alleged victim made the claims about what had happened while being treated for a depressive illness. The police went on to become involved.
The court heard she wasn’t in a right state of mind to say yes or no. The prosecution claims she did not consent to sex. She made a complaint to police in 2011 over the alleged abuse.
Mr Hackett told the jury: “The defendant put before the police a prepared statement in his defence.
“He asserted that the complainant had exhibited delusional behaviour. He denied each and every charge put to him.”
The trial continues.
First published at 16:14, Wednesday, 20 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston campaigners reach fighting fund £5k target (17 comments)
- Ulverston ‘completely gridlocked’, councillor tells meeting (11 comments)
- New consultation to launch into new homes near Ulverston
- Traffic chaos over work on the A590 (3 comments)
- Search for missing blind dog in Cumbria (3 comments)
- Former Dragon's Den star buys Cumbria hotel for £1.5m (4 comments)
- Police launch investigation after biker killed in Ulverston crash (4 comments)
- Vow to tackle Ulverston’s nuisance seagulls (11 comments)
- Body found in back of van
- Parked car delays fire brigade on way to Barrow blaze (13 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|