Update: Mum of Barrow murder victim speaks out
Last updated at 15:14, Saturday, 21 June 2014
THE devastated mum of a murdered 23-year-old has said she and her family can now rest after his brutal killer has been brought to justice.
Jill Hollingsworth, the former manager of Barrow’s Furness Railway up until a few years ago said the thing that upset her the most was Jamie Armstrong’s lack of remorse, even when he was found guilty.
She said she could now finally grieve for her son.
The 21-year-old killer of Barrow man Luke Hollingsworth was sentenced to life imprisonment a minimum 25 years in prison at Carlisle Crown Court yesterday. (20)
The young dad was found guilty of murdering his friend in a brutal knife attack that followed a furious row over drugs and money.
Speaking at the sentencing, Judge Paul Batty QC said: “You have not shown a tinge of regret, not a flicker of remorse as you cynically lied before this Carlisle jury over the last three weeks.”
The judge spoke of the horrible, protracted nature of the attack on Mr Hollingsworth as he fled for his life.
He added: “The only mitigating factor is your age,” he added.
The court had heard Mr Hollingsworth’s girlfriend found his body in the blood splattered bathroom of his home in Etterby Lea Road, Stanwix, on July 10 last year.
He had suffered catastrophic knife wounds to his back, eye and head.
Armstrong was lying on the floor nearby and from the beginning he insisted the murder was the work of two masked, glove-wearing intruders he could not name.
But the jury rejected his version of the tragedy, declaring him guilty of murder after deliberating for just two hours.
Mrs Hollingsworth said: "This has had a devastating effect on my family and me. I can now rest with the thought that Jamie Armstrong has been brought to justice for the brutal murder of my much loved son, Luke.
“During this trial the thing that has upset me most is the fact that Jamie Armstrong at no time showed any remorse, even when he was found guilty yesterday.
“I do not have all the answers as to what happened to Luke on that fateful day but as a result of all the hard work of the police and Crown Prosecution Service, who brought the prosecution together, Jamie Armstrong was found guilty.
“As a result of the trial I now have some closure and can go and grieve for my son.”
First published at 15:45, Friday, 20 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston heritage was key part of supermarket bid, court told (14 comments)
- Drunken man’s rescue in Barrow cost emergency services £18k
- Holker Street bar name vote options revealed (9 comments)
- Barrow family’s joy as boy back home after five-month hospital stay
- Casson apologises for Barrow AFC cup exit (4 comments)
World's biggest coffee morning 2014
WCF pet and equestrian
Choosing a pre school
Come and join us 5
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|