Update: Flooding causes disruption to Cumbria rail services
Last updated at 10:14, Monday, 06 January 2014
FLOODING continues to cause disruption to rail services on the Cumbria coast.
Replacement buses are being used for train services north of Barrow via Sellafield.
Buses are replacing trains between Carlisle and Workington and journey times may be extended by up to 40 minutes.
National Rail says the early indication is that buses will continue to replace trains between Carlisle and Workington for about a week to repair the damage to the track caused by the storms.
Train services were cancelled across the weekend causing major headaches for passengers after severe storms damaged tracks.
Network Rail worked around the clock to fix issues. It said the line suffered 'significant' damage at several locations, including sea defences and walls washing away at multiple locations between Sellafield and Maryport. Kirkby station was left completely underwater and damage was caused to lineside equipment.
Around 120 yards of track washed away at Flimby and 600 yards of ballast at Parton.
The station at Braystones has completed flooded and there is debris reported on the line at several locations.
First published at 15:08, Sunday, 05 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Have to say, credit where credit is due. It sounds as if considerable damage was caused to the line and equipment, so I find it remarkable they're hoping to have everything running again by Monday morning. With teams working around the clock, it's amazing what can be achieved.
Well done Network Rail.
Make your comment
- Furness General midwife admits blunders which led to deaths of two babies
- Cumbria service that helps patients returning home gets extra funding
- Relief as second Cumbria climber accounted for after Nepal quake
- Cumbria mountaineer describes horrifying moment Nepal earthquake struck
- Cumbria man airlifted to hospital after ladder fall
- Signalling problems causing delays for Cumbria passengers
- Child's BMX bike stolen in Barrow
- Range Rover damaged in Broughton
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Hundreds of Barrow AFC fans attend title homecoming celebration
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (25 comments)
- Special day for Barrow AFC skipper
- Proud Edmo hails Barrow AFC title success: with picture gallery
- Crarey delight as Barrow Raiders run riot (3 comments)
- Holker cruise into play-offs: with picture gallery
- Furness start title defence in style: with picture gallery
- Glasson take the spoils at Ulverston
- Barrow AFC trophy presentation at Holker Street
- Jubilant Barrow fans speak of joy and relief (2 comments)
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton