Barrow police officer pleads not guilty to rape charge
Last updated at 17:13, Friday, 08 August 2014
A POLICE officer from Barrow is set to stand trial next year after pleading not guilty to a series of sex offences.
Nicholas Doherty from Walney, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, appeared at Coventry Crown Court in the West Midlands today to enter pleas to five charges listed on the indictment and relating to two separate women.
The 41-year-old was charged by Warwickshire Police in March.
Wearing a light grey two-piece suit and striped tie, Doherty, appearing on conditional bail, was told he would stand trial back at the city's court on March 9, next year.
He denies rape, attempted rape and two offences of sexual assault said to have taken place against in Stratford-upon-Avon in February 2012.
Doherty also denied a separate offence of indecent assault against another complainant alleged to have taken place in December 1999.
The Recorder of Coventry Judge Griffith Jones told the defendant the last matter would be tried separately, following the end of the March 2015 court proceedings.
"Your trial will take place in March next year, and between now and then I bail you on the same terms as you were on before today," he said.
First published at 08:56, Friday, 08 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Barrow hosting major cycling event today
- Police appeal after taxi driver assaulted in Ulverston
- How do you turn Barrow town centre into a cycling race track? (8 comments)
- Tour Series sponsor BAE Systems holding recruitment fair today
- Everything you need to know about the Tour Series Barrow stage (3 comments)
- Barrow businessman to bring back classic pop Sass (4 comments)
- New deals on offer for Cumbria tourist attractions and restaurants
- Gardening fans make a beeline for South Cumbria festival’s delights
- Barrow race is on to share in cycling glory
- South Cumbria businesses can see benefit to backing big day
- Wiggins star triumphs in Barrow Tour Series
- Pugh injury blow for Askam
- Hawcoat complete clean sweep: with picture gallery
- Tributes to Lindal rocket Ronnie
- Maj makes his mark at Ulverston
- Six of the best to look out for
- Handley in form ahead of Barrow Tour Series showdown
- Lupton the perfect stand-in for Barrow Raiders (1 comment)
- Fun in the sun at Barrow football festival: with picture gallery
- Five-star show from Barrow athletes
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers
- Store visit reward was a bag of dolly mixture
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wilson Arms, Torver
- TRAVEL REVIEW: France
- South Cumbria children’s creativity worth crowing over
- Vital to pick up condition early
- Sharing the pain of chronic problem
- First Aid
Visit our websites for...
- Cumbrian mum to run Edinburgh Marathon for heart unit
- £500,000 cycling track planned for Carlisle community campus
- Teen wins Royal Television Society award for film about 'gran she never knew'
- Dalston bike man has some competition - from a scarecrow
- £61,500 benefits fraud by one-armed ex-Paratrooper
- Jobs under threat at Willmott Dixon (4 comments)
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (13 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (143 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (107 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (36 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (26 comments)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|