Barrow to Ulverston coast road to remain open despite flooding
Last updated at 14:32, Tuesday, 04 February 2014
POLICE have said the Barrow to Ulverston coast road is passable with care despite some standing water.
A statment issued by Barrow Police said "We are happy to leave the A5087 Barrow to Ulverston road open. There is standing water but is passable".
Carr Lane leading to Biggar village on Walney was closed at its junction with Ocean Road on Sunday afternoon.
The Environment Agency had issued flood alerts for parts of Barrow and Ulverston ahead of high tide at 1pm on Sunday.
But the situation was not as bad as Saturday. Barrow Police and Cumbria County Council staff were poised on the Promenade on Walney ahead of the 1pm high tide, but the water did not quite make the road and there was no need to close it.
Kirkby-in-Furness was not affected on Sunday.
Looking ahead, the Environment Agency has issued a flood alert for the coast at Duddon Estuary for the high tide at 1.45pm on Monday.
Yesterday, winds and high tides lashed the Cumbria coast taking their toll on Barrow and surrounding areas with roads closed, trains cancelled, and power affected.
The Environment Agency has said Monday’s high tide is not expected to cause flooding.
First published at 09:42, Sunday, 02 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Send us your photos
1. You can use the form below. It's really easy . . . .
a) Fill in the Name box so that we can credit you with a by-line in paper and/or online
b) Add your Email address so that we can get back to you, either for more details or just to say thank-you
c) Put some basic details into the Message box ie what it is a picture of, when it was taken etc
d) Press the Browse button to locate the image on your computer
e) Press the Send Email button
You can only attach one image at a time but you will get an option after sending to repeat the process.
Before sending, please reduce your image file size to 500k or less. That will ensure it leaves you quicker and we receive all images.
2. You can email larger files directly to email@example.com
3. You can send us photos from your mobile phone. Simply type EM VIEWS and send to 88833. Only standard network charges apply.
The form . . .
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|