Snow and ice shuts Cumbria roads
Last updated at 17:53, Friday, 14 February 2014
SNOW and ice continues to cause problems for drivers on some roads in Cumbria.
Police have closed the following roads due to snow:
- B6270 – From Nateby
- B6277 – between Alston and Durham
- Hardnott Pass
- Wrynose Pass
The A66 has re-opened both ways, after snow was cleared between the A685 junction in Brough and the A67 junction in Bowes.
A car accident has been cleared on the M6 northbound between junction 38 on the A685 (Tebay) and junction 40 on the A66 (Penrith).
Hazardous conditions have been reported on the A6 between the B6261 junction in Shap and the New Road junction in Lowther.
The A686 Hartside Pass between the Alston junction and the Melmerby junction is just passable because of snow
A Met Office yellow snow warning is in place for Cumbria until 11.45pm tonight, with snow more likely to settle on higher ground in the county.
First published at 15:36, Friday, 14 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
I had to turn back this afternoon (15/2/14) as some IDIOTS were just messing about on the A686 and not driving sensibly on the road. There was to many motorists unable to drive in snow conditions and stuck on the road. I would of been able to get to Alston as I first learned to drive at ALSTON and drove in winter there. IT WAS TRICKY AND NEEDED A PERSON WHO KNEW WINTER DRIVING TO BE ABLE DRIVE ON THAT ROAD. The snow was SLUSHY which made it harder to drive on.
Make your comment
- UPDATE: Four arrested in Windermere murder investigation
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- Man stabbed in leg during Cumbria assault
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- A590 path repair project announced (1 comment)
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success (1 comment)
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan (1 comment)
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown