Snow and ice shuts Cumbria roads
Last updated at 17:53, Friday, 14 February 2014
SNOW and ice continues to cause problems for drivers on some roads in Cumbria.
Police have closed the following roads due to snow:
- B6270 – From Nateby
- B6277 – between Alston and Durham
- Hardnott Pass
- Wrynose Pass
The A66 has re-opened both ways, after snow was cleared between the A685 junction in Brough and the A67 junction in Bowes.
A car accident has been cleared on the M6 northbound between junction 38 on the A685 (Tebay) and junction 40 on the A66 (Penrith).
Hazardous conditions have been reported on the A6 between the B6261 junction in Shap and the New Road junction in Lowther.
The A686 Hartside Pass between the Alston junction and the Melmerby junction is just passable because of snow
A Met Office yellow snow warning is in place for Cumbria until 11.45pm tonight, with snow more likely to settle on higher ground in the county.
First published at 15:36, Friday, 14 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
I had to turn back this afternoon (15/2/14) as some IDIOTS were just messing about on the A686 and not driving sensibly on the road. There was to many motorists unable to drive in snow conditions and stuck on the road. I would of been able to get to Alston as I first learned to drive at ALSTON and drove in winter there. IT WAS TRICKY AND NEEDED A PERSON WHO KNEW WINTER DRIVING TO BE ABLE DRIVE ON THAT ROAD. The snow was SLUSHY which made it harder to drive on.
Make your comment
- Nude bathing “plans” and edible cars among Cumbria April fools
- Building work at Barrow care home set to restart
- Driver who crashed in Walney sought by police
- Updated: Football fan comes forward to speak to police about Barrow AFC assault claim
- Man, 65, suffers serious injuries in 40m Lake District fall
- Cat charge admitted by Barrow woman
- Water supply cut off in Ulverston
- Cumbria man reunites with Korean Zen master
- Former Barrow children’s doctor accused of failings defends his treatment
- Big Clean team hit Askam beach for tidy-up
- Barrow AFC boss drops Taylor deal hint
- Barrow Raiders boss holds injury concern
- Penny takes Palma path in 100 marathons mission
- McHale ready to roar on his TT debut
- Evening Mail's Emma learns the lessons of triathlon bid
- Anglers over rainbow with restocking
- Tribute to Barrow angler Don (1 comment)
- Barrow AFC winger hoping to be let loose on Stockport
- "We'll be ready" roars Barrow Raiders ace ahead of league opener (2 comments)
- It's 400-up for Ulverston-born Wilkes - Super League next target (6 comments)