Snow and ice shuts Cumbria roads
Last updated at 17:53, Friday, 14 February 2014
SNOW and ice continues to cause problems for drivers on some roads in Cumbria.
Police have closed the following roads due to snow:
- B6270 – From Nateby
- B6277 – between Alston and Durham
- Hardnott Pass
- Wrynose Pass
The A66 has re-opened both ways, after snow was cleared between the A685 junction in Brough and the A67 junction in Bowes.
A car accident has been cleared on the M6 northbound between junction 38 on the A685 (Tebay) and junction 40 on the A66 (Penrith).
Hazardous conditions have been reported on the A6 between the B6261 junction in Shap and the New Road junction in Lowther.
The A686 Hartside Pass between the Alston junction and the Melmerby junction is just passable because of snow
A Met Office yellow snow warning is in place for Cumbria until 11.45pm tonight, with snow more likely to settle on higher ground in the county.
First published at 15:36, Friday, 14 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
I had to turn back this afternoon (15/2/14) as some IDIOTS were just messing about on the A686 and not driving sensibly on the road. There was to many motorists unable to drive in snow conditions and stuck on the road. I would of been able to get to Alston as I first learned to drive at ALSTON and drove in winter there. IT WAS TRICKY AND NEEDED A PERSON WHO KNEW WINTER DRIVING TO BE ABLE DRIVE ON THAT ROAD. The snow was SLUSHY which made it harder to drive on.
Make your comment
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court tomorrow for sentencing
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery