Update: Flooding causes disruption to Cumbria rail services
Last updated at 10:14, Monday, 06 January 2014
FLOODING continues to cause disruption to rail services on the Cumbria coast.
Replacement buses are being used for train services north of Barrow via Sellafield.
Buses are replacing trains between Carlisle and Workington and journey times may be extended by up to 40 minutes.
National Rail says the early indication is that buses will continue to replace trains between Carlisle and Workington for about a week to repair the damage to the track caused by the storms.
Train services were cancelled across the weekend causing major headaches for passengers after severe storms damaged tracks.
Network Rail worked around the clock to fix issues. It said the line suffered 'significant' damage at several locations, including sea defences and walls washing away at multiple locations between Sellafield and Maryport. Kirkby station was left completely underwater and damage was caused to lineside equipment.
Around 120 yards of track washed away at Flimby and 600 yards of ballast at Parton.
The station at Braystones has completed flooded and there is debris reported on the line at several locations.
First published at 15:08, Sunday, 05 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Have to say, credit where credit is due. It sounds as if considerable damage was caused to the line and equipment, so I find it remarkable they're hoping to have everything running again by Monday morning. With teams working around the clock, it's amazing what can be achieved.
Well done Network Rail.
Make your comment
- Barrow MP among 19 to have had parliamentary credit card suspended
- UPDATE: Four arrested in Windermere murder investigation
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- Man stabbed in leg during Cumbria assault
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- A590 path repair project announced (1 comment)
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success (1 comment)
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan (1 comment)
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown