Police urge drivers to avoid roads near Millom and Ambleside due to snow
Last updated at 15:31, Sunday, 02 February 2014
POLICE warned drivers in Cumbria to be wary due to wintry weather.
Drivers were been advised on Friday January 31 to avoid roads in the Millom and Ambleside areas due to ice and snow.
Police asked drivers to avoid:
· The Corney Fell Road at Corney, Millom (motorists are asked to use the main A595 road when travelling south until further notice)
· A591 – Dunmail Rise
· A592 – Kirkstone Pass
The A593 at Skelwith Bridge, Ambleside is now open after emergency services attended to assist in a road traffic collision between two vehicles. No injuries reported at this time, believed to be due to weather conditions. The road is only passable with care.
Patterdale Mountain Rescue were called to the incident and have said there is a large amount of snow on roads in the Kirkstone pass area.
Police are urging communities to be prepared, only drive if essential and look out for vulnerable relatives, friends and neighbours.
Pavements can be just as dangerous as roads if they haven’t been gritted or cleared so take care when walking as well as when driving.
Before starting your journey, please check your route, you can keep up to date with the latest situation on the roads by visiting our Traffic Link Map: http://www.cumbria.police.uk/traffic-link-map
To keep up to date with the latest weather forecasts, visit the Met Office website: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/
First published at 13:24, Friday, 31 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Send us your photos
1. You can use the form below. It's really easy . . . .
a) Fill in the Name box so that we can credit you with a by-line in paper and/or online
b) Add your Email address so that we can get back to you, either for more details or just to say thank-you
c) Put some basic details into the Message box ie what it is a picture of, when it was taken etc
d) Press the Browse button to locate the image on your computer
e) Press the Send Email button
You can only attach one image at a time but you will get an option after sending to repeat the process.
Before sending, please reduce your image file size to 500k or less. That will ensure it leaves you quicker and we receive all images.
2. You can email larger files directly to email@example.com
3. You can send us photos from your mobile phone. Simply type EM VIEWS and send to 88833. Only standard network charges apply.
The form . . .
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together