Barrow to Ulverston coast road to remain open despite flooding
Last updated at 14:32, Tuesday, 04 February 2014
POLICE have said the Barrow to Ulverston coast road is passable with care despite some standing water.
A statment issued by Barrow Police said "We are happy to leave the A5087 Barrow to Ulverston road open. There is standing water but is passable".
Carr Lane leading to Biggar village on Walney was closed at its junction with Ocean Road on Sunday afternoon.
The Environment Agency had issued flood alerts for parts of Barrow and Ulverston ahead of high tide at 1pm on Sunday.
But the situation was not as bad as Saturday. Barrow Police and Cumbria County Council staff were poised on the Promenade on Walney ahead of the 1pm high tide, but the water did not quite make the road and there was no need to close it.
Kirkby-in-Furness was not affected on Sunday.
Looking ahead, the Environment Agency has issued a flood alert for the coast at Duddon Estuary for the high tide at 1.45pm on Monday.
Yesterday, winds and high tides lashed the Cumbria coast taking their toll on Barrow and surrounding areas with roads closed, trains cancelled, and power affected.
The Environment Agency has said Monday’s high tide is not expected to cause flooding.
First published at 09:42, Sunday, 02 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Send us your photos
1. You can use the form below. It's really easy . . . .
a) Fill in the Name box so that we can credit you with a by-line in paper and/or online
b) Add your Email address so that we can get back to you, either for more details or just to say thank-you
c) Put some basic details into the Message box ie what it is a picture of, when it was taken etc
d) Press the Browse button to locate the image on your computer
e) Press the Send Email button
You can only attach one image at a time but you will get an option after sending to repeat the process.
Before sending, please reduce your image file size to 500k or less. That will ensure it leaves you quicker and we receive all images.
2. You can email larger files directly to email@example.com
3. You can send us photos from your mobile phone. Simply type EM VIEWS and send to 88833. Only standard network charges apply.
The form . . .
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court tomorrow for sentencing
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery