Unemployment in Cumbria down by 27 per cent
Last updated at 10:26, Wednesday, 16 July 2014
UNEMPLOYMENT in Cumbria fell again last month and has plunged by 27 per cent in the last year.
Official figures show that 5,710 people were claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance in June – 1.8 per cent of the workforce – down from 6,053 in May and from 7,918 in June 2013.
Carlisle’s jobless total fell by 111 to 1,312, giving the city an unemployment rate of 1.9 per cent.
Allerdale’s fell by 90 to 1,324 (2.2 per cent), Copeland’s by 15 to 1,070 (2.4 per cent), Eden’s by eight to 264 (0.8 per cent), Barrow’s by 63 to 1,317 (3.1 per cent) and South Lakeland’s by 56 to 423 (0.7 per cent).
Nationally, the seasonally-adjusted claimant count fell by 36,000 to 1.04m.
The quarterly rolling total, which includes those not eligible for Jobseeker’s Allowance, fell by 121,000 to 2.12m.
The Office for National Statistics also reported that average earnings have hardly risen at all.
Pay rises averaged 0.3 per cent in the year to May, well below the inflation rate of 1.9 per cent.
First published at 10:23, Wednesday, 16 July 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
BBC Look North when giving out employment figures, always give out the percentage for the North East but only the number for Cumbria. Why do you think this is?
Make your comment
- UPDATE: Four arrested in Windermere murder investigation
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- Man stabbed in leg during Cumbria assault
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- A590 path repair project announced (1 comment)
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success (1 comment)
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan (1 comment)
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown