Unemployment in Cumbria down by 27 per cent
Last updated at 10:26, Wednesday, 16 July 2014
UNEMPLOYMENT in Cumbria fell again last month and has plunged by 27 per cent in the last year.
Official figures show that 5,710 people were claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance in June – 1.8 per cent of the workforce – down from 6,053 in May and from 7,918 in June 2013.
Carlisle’s jobless total fell by 111 to 1,312, giving the city an unemployment rate of 1.9 per cent.
Allerdale’s fell by 90 to 1,324 (2.2 per cent), Copeland’s by 15 to 1,070 (2.4 per cent), Eden’s by eight to 264 (0.8 per cent), Barrow’s by 63 to 1,317 (3.1 per cent) and South Lakeland’s by 56 to 423 (0.7 per cent).
Nationally, the seasonally-adjusted claimant count fell by 36,000 to 1.04m.
The quarterly rolling total, which includes those not eligible for Jobseeker’s Allowance, fell by 121,000 to 2.12m.
The Office for National Statistics also reported that average earnings have hardly risen at all.
Pay rises averaged 0.3 per cent in the year to May, well below the inflation rate of 1.9 per cent.
First published at 10:23, Wednesday, 16 July 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
BBC Look North when giving out employment figures, always give out the percentage for the North East but only the number for Cumbria. Why do you think this is?
Make your comment
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Australian children send war tributes to South Cumbria
- Barrow attack victim: 'I was left for dead'
- Rescuers called out twice to missing walkers on Cumbria mountain
- Cash machine blown up in Cumbria raid
- Big crowds expected for Ulverston pageant
- Barrow and Furness election hopefuls clash in debates
- Barrow man jailed for striking victim with piece of wood (2 comments)
- Rural Cumbria voters are calling for support
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (10 comments)
- Casson over the moon with Barrow AFC title success
- Jubilant Barrow fans speak of joy and relief
- Edmondson hails title-winning Barrow AFC
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (5 comments)
- Barrow AFC fans ready for Lowestoft title decider:with picture gallery
- We give Barrow AFC fans the lowdown on Lowestoft
- Superfan’s 6,500 mile trip to see Barrow AFC
- Day of destiny for Barrow AFC
- Edmo calls on Barrow AFC to write club history
- AFC Fylde boss still believes his side can pip Barrow AFC to title
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton