Unemployment across Cumbria falls by 4.1%
Last updated at 15:38, Thursday, 17 April 2014
UNEMPLOYMENT figures have fallen across Cumbria – but there are still thousands of people looking for work.
Figures released yesterday show unemployment has fallen by 77,000 nationally in the past three months – bringing the rate of overall unemployment below seven per cent.
The number of people claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance in Cumbria fell by 289 to 6,514 from February to March, a fall of 4.1 per cent from last month.
The count is 2,347 lower than it was a year ago and has the drop in claimants was 26.5 per cent fewer in Cumbria compared with 24.5 per cent.
In Barrow unemployment stands at 7.7 per cent, or around 2,000 people, in Copeland 6.5 per cent of the population is looking for work, which again is around 2,000 and in South Lakeland 2.5 per cent of the population is unemployed – the equivalent of 1,000 people.
Tim Farron, MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale, said: “Our area has a much lower than average unemployment rate, but that is no comfort to those seeking work.
“I am working hard with local businesses to encourage them to take on apprentices and take advantage of schemes to assist with employing people.
“I am also working with further education providers to make sure learning opportunities to support apprentices and other workers is available.”
The figures, released by the Office for National Statistics showed wages also rose in the year by 1.7 per cent, against yesterday’s announcement that March’s inflation had dropped to 1.6 per cent.
Phil Collier, chairman of the Federation of Small Businesses in Furness, said: “The wage increase shows some evidence of cautious optimism.
“However, the government needs to be careful how it’s managed going forward.
“Many smaller businesses haven’t had a pay rise so in real terms employees have had a pay cut.”
First published at 15:36, Thursday, 17 April 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- "Fantastic victory" for Barrow after massive increase in train services announced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (3 comments)
- New moto-cross team for Furness (1 comment)
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|