Ulverston school’s plan to expand welcomed
Last updated at 17:46, Thursday, 13 December 2012
PARENTS have welcomed a school’s decision to push ahead with plans to expand and accept pupils up to the age of 11.
A consultation into plans to increase the age range at Ulverston Church of England Infant School, in Church Walk, received an “overwhelmingly positive” response.
If approved, the plans would see the infant school gradually expand by adding a new year group each year from September 2013.
The change would mean pupils would no longer be forced to move schools at the end of Year Two.
The consultation process was supported by nearby Sir John Barrow School, in Argyle Street, one of the schools where many of Church Walk’s pupils transferred after Year Two.
Letters were sent to parents at both schools informing them of the plans.
Helen Pemberton, headteacher at Sir John Barrow School, said the schools were working together in the best interests of the local community.
A statement from Ulverston Church of England Infant School thanked everyone who took part in the consultation.
It said: “Every response was considered very carefully but, after a very full discussion, we believe we have made the right decision for the school.”
The school said it received 62 written responses to the consultation, which took place from October 22 until November 30, and 84 per cent of respondents were in favour of the plans.
Headteacher Bernadette Calvey previously explained the reasons behind the plans, saying the school had suffered as a result of not being able to offer junior school provision.
The school will now publish a notice publishing details of the proposed changes to the age range it caters for.
If the plans are approved by Cumbria County Council – the local education authority, in April, Church Walk would become the only Church of England primary school in Ulverston.
That fact was a major driving force behind the decision, with a number of parents having previously raised the issue with the school.
But the school does not plan to expand physically as a result of any changes.
It said it plans to reduce its intake and make more effective use of the space it has available.
First published at 16:37, Thursday, 13 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria (1 comment)
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes (2 comments)
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month (2 comments)
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark (1 comment)
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue (3 comments)
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|