Ulverston pupils surprise leaving head
Last updated at 12:10, Tuesday, 27 May 2014
PUPILS and staff have bid a fond farewell to a popular headteacher after almost a decade of service.
Church Walk School in Ulverston said goodbye to Bernadette Calvey yesterday with a surprise assembly to mark her last day.
Miss Calvey, who joined the school in 2005, becomes head at Vicarage Park Primary School in Kendal.
She said: “I’ve been here nine years, sometimes it feels like much longer than that and other times it feels like five minutes.”
Looking back at the highlights of her time at the school, Miss Calvey said: “There’s been too many to itemise but I think it’s the people.
“The children, the staff, the parents and the governors, all the people who have supported me and had patience with me.
“Someone wrote in my leaving card that it’s like a happy family here, and it really is.”
Miss Calvey had no idea about the assembly until she saw crowds of people arriving at the school.
She said: “The children sang songs and read some things out and then presented me with a painting which is a lovely momento. I shall remember them all always.”
Miss Calvey oversaw Church Walk’s transition from an infant school to a full primary school.
She said: “It’s something we all worked together to get the school to a strong position and I’m confident it will continue to go really well.”
Acting head Susan Davies said: “She’s just a wonderful headteacher.
“We’re carrying on with developing as a primary school, but she is a hard act to follow.”
First published at 10:30, Tuesday, 27 May 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|