Ulverston pupils share their views on new-look castle plans
Last updated at 14:52, Tuesday, 13 November 2012
YOUNGSTERS left devastated by an arson attack on a playground castle have been playing a key part in deciding what will replace it.
Members of the Croftlands Castle Community Group took a set of designs to Croftlands Infant School in Ulverston for pupils to have their say.
The children voted on their favourite design during a fun castle-themed day where they got to dress up as kings and queens.
Staff said the pupils thoroughly enjoyed being given the chance to have some input into the decision.
Jo Procter, deputy headteacher, said they had particularly favoured the more colourful designs.
She added: “We had a super day.”
Pupils Luke Clough and Bethany Morphet, both five, said they liked “the big one with the slide” the most.
Jean Holden, school secretary, said the school had been pleased to get behind the project to help rebuild the castle and was delighted to have some input on the final decision.
She added: “We have really worked hard towards this.”
Naomi Bartlett, who set up the community group after the original castle was burned down, said it was important that the community got to decide on how the money it helped raise should be spent.
She added: “All the children at the infants school have had a chance to vote – we got a good response.
“The kids were over the moon to look at the designs and have a choice. People have been really glad to be part of the decision.
“The community helped raise the money so it is only fair the community should choose how we use it.”
The designs also went on show at the Croftlands Community Centre last week.
The images will be put up in Boogles and Bump, in Brogden Street, Ulverston, next week to allow more people to cast their vote on which castle should be built using the money raised over the last few months.
CCCG is bidding to raise £12,000 to replace the castle and so far has more than £6,000.
Two teenage girls who were responsible for the fire received police cautions.
First published at 13:59, Monday, 12 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|