Ulverston pupils get lesson from T-Rex drummer
Last updated at 16:41, Friday, 30 November 2012
A ROCK veteran is gearing up to hit the stage alongside a selection of Ulverston’s finest emerging talent.
A group of pupils at Croftlands Junior School will be rocking out at the Coronation Hall on Saturday, accompanied by the band now performing as T-Rex.
Paul Fenton, who toured with Marc Bolan’s T. Rex from 1973, was in Ulverston yesterday to meet the kids he will be playing with.
The drummer, who has played all over the world, said it was important to try and inspire the next generation and give them the desire to succeed.
He added: “When I was young and all my friends were trying to entice me to do other things, I stayed at home and played music.”
Fenton has played in various bands, touring the world 12 times, and has helped budding drummers get started.
He now plays alongside former T. Rex members Micky Finn and Jack Green in a tribute to Bolan’s cult band.
He added: “It is good for us to try and do something they will remember for a long time and hopefully provide some inspiration.”
And Year Five and Six class teacher at the school, Simon Cross, said he was delighted the pupils would have the chance to showcase their skills in such a memorable way.
He said: “It is an absolutely fantastic opportunity for them, for a school to get a real gig anywhere where people are paying to come and watch.
“To be able to play with one of the most well-known bands from the 1970s is unbelievable.”
Staff and pupils are getting excited about tomorrow’s performance, although the nerves are starting to kick in.
Jack Spencer, aged 11, plays four instruments and has been playing the guitar for around four years but said he is a “bit of a mix” of excitement and nerves.
Nine-year-old Megan Cooper will be singing but said she has no problems being noisy.
“That is one of my best talents,” she said.
“It is like a practice for me – in January I am going for (youth choir concert) Young Voices.”
First published at 10:11, Friday, 30 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
NO BOLAN,NO T.Rex.
Make your comment
- Kendal man sentenced to over two years for indecent images of children
- Warning from Cumbria police after thieves target cars parked in rural areas
- BBC TV shows focus their cameras on Lake District locations
- Ulverston enthusiasts hope beekeeping venture will reach sticky end
- Millom shop boss evades driving ban
- Builder used cash machine scam in Barrow after two weeks in UK
- Millom parents fighting for centre given group’s support
- Greats pay respects to Barrow born ex-Chelsea chief
- Inquest into death of Barrow woman due to open
- Evening Mail poll shows surge in support for Ukip
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory
- Cook scoops Player of the Season prize
- Casson delighted with Edmo's Barrow progress
- Casson confident Barrow AFC can claim title this weekend
- Barrow Raiders aim to banish away-day blues
- Barrow Raiders look to take sting out of Rochdale Hornets
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Saturday nights with Barrow Raiders good for me
- Jones: Barrow Raiders need to beat Rochdale
- Dutch invasion at Barrow AFC
- Barrow AFC stalwart honoured (1 comment)
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (1 comment)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker
- First Aid