Ulverston pop-up shop proposal wins national backing
Last updated at 17:04, Thursday, 28 February 2013
A NATIONAL campaign to boost business is looking to bring its expertise to Ulverston.
Recently announced plans to encourage fledgling businesses in to the town by converting an empty store into a pop-up shop have attracted attention from StartUp Britain.
The campaign, set up by entrepreneurs, aims to encourage new start-ups and assist emerging businesses.
Cumbria StartUp champion Archie Workman said the pop-up shop idea, which the campaign is actively promoting, would be perfect in a town like Ulverston.
He said: “It is giving young people a chance they would not normally get – where they meet the public face-to-face.”
Mr Workman hopes to bring his own business mentoring experience to the table as well as helping the venture by trying to source funding or support from businesses in the area.
But he said he doesn’t see the scheme going into competition with established traders.
He said: “Because of the type of town it is, I think people will come and see it.” A similar initiative was trialled during the Dickensian Festival last year and Mr Workman hopes to build on that success.
He added: “If it can work for Dickensian weekend, why can’t it work every weekend or once a month? It is encouraging entrepreneurship and new businesses in the town.”
The StartUp campaign is a private sector initiative, with backing from major international companies, aimed at kickstarting the UK economy.
Supported by the prime minister, the campaign has more than 70 local champions to help communities benefit from the business expertise within the group.
Last week, Ulverston Town Council said it was looking into the possibility of taking a temporary lease on a vacant store and using it to promote the town or showcase would-be entrepreneurs.
The pop-up shop concept has proved popular across the country and been hailed as an innovative solution to the growing problem of empty stores on town high streets.
First published at 16:44, Thursday, 28 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- "Fantastic victory" for Barrow after massive increase in train services announced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (3 comments)
- New moto-cross team for Furness (1 comment)
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|