Ulverston play area is served with winding-up order
Last updated at 16:28, Sunday, 10 February 2013
PARENTS and their children have been left disappointed by the closure of a children’s play area in Ulverston.
Parties have been cancelled after the company behind The Zone, in Station Approach, went into liquidation.
The company, The Zone at Ulverston, was served with a winding-up order last month following a petition launched by the taxman last year.
Ulverston mum Leanne Brew said she had only just finished handing out invitations to her daughter’s party when she got a phone call from The Zone saying it had been cancelled.
The fact that schools broke up for half-term yesterday made it even more difficult to let other parents know the party, booked for February 18, would not be taking place.
Mrs Brew said: “I have managed to book one at PlayZone in Barrow (at the Custom House) instead. She would have been so disappointed otherwise.”
Keiron Hart, business development manager at The Custom House in Barrow, said: “The Zone from Ulverston has closed down, leaving a lot of parents with cancelled kids’ parties and missing deposits.
“We have tried our best at the PlayZone to accommodate the parents and kids who have been let down at short notice, some of them only informed 24 hours before.”
Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs petitioned the High Court to have The Zone at Ulverston Ltd wound up on November 29, 2012. The winding-up order was issued on January 21.
The Zone also has a play area in Lancaster that runs as a separate company, which is understood to be trading normally.
The Evening Mail tried several times to contact the company’s owners but they were unavailable for comment.
First published at 13:32, Sunday, 10 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Demolition begins at Barrow shipyard as part of £300m redevelopment (7 comments)
- Barrow Raiders ban ex-coach from Craven Park (7 comments)
- Slices of Barrow social history go under hammer at auction
- Police attend sudden death of man, 42, in Barrow
- Cumbria man charged with attempted rape after alleged attack on girl aged nine
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|