Ulverston play area is served with winding-up order
Last updated at 16:28, Sunday, 10 February 2013
PARENTS and their children have been left disappointed by the closure of a children’s play area in Ulverston.
Parties have been cancelled after the company behind The Zone, in Station Approach, went into liquidation.
The company, The Zone at Ulverston, was served with a winding-up order last month following a petition launched by the taxman last year.
Ulverston mum Leanne Brew said she had only just finished handing out invitations to her daughter’s party when she got a phone call from The Zone saying it had been cancelled.
The fact that schools broke up for half-term yesterday made it even more difficult to let other parents know the party, booked for February 18, would not be taking place.
Mrs Brew said: “I have managed to book one at PlayZone in Barrow (at the Custom House) instead. She would have been so disappointed otherwise.”
Keiron Hart, business development manager at The Custom House in Barrow, said: “The Zone from Ulverston has closed down, leaving a lot of parents with cancelled kids’ parties and missing deposits.
“We have tried our best at the PlayZone to accommodate the parents and kids who have been let down at short notice, some of them only informed 24 hours before.”
Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs petitioned the High Court to have The Zone at Ulverston Ltd wound up on November 29, 2012. The winding-up order was issued on January 21.
The Zone also has a play area in Lancaster that runs as a separate company, which is understood to be trading normally.
The Evening Mail tried several times to contact the company’s owners but they were unavailable for comment.
First published at 13:32, Sunday, 10 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court tomorrow for sentencing
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|