Ulverston play area is served with winding-up order
Last updated at 16:28, Sunday, 10 February 2013
PARENTS and their children have been left disappointed by the closure of a children’s play area in Ulverston.
Parties have been cancelled after the company behind The Zone, in Station Approach, went into liquidation.
The company, The Zone at Ulverston, was served with a winding-up order last month following a petition launched by the taxman last year.
Ulverston mum Leanne Brew said she had only just finished handing out invitations to her daughter’s party when she got a phone call from The Zone saying it had been cancelled.
The fact that schools broke up for half-term yesterday made it even more difficult to let other parents know the party, booked for February 18, would not be taking place.
Mrs Brew said: “I have managed to book one at PlayZone in Barrow (at the Custom House) instead. She would have been so disappointed otherwise.”
Keiron Hart, business development manager at The Custom House in Barrow, said: “The Zone from Ulverston has closed down, leaving a lot of parents with cancelled kids’ parties and missing deposits.
“We have tried our best at the PlayZone to accommodate the parents and kids who have been let down at short notice, some of them only informed 24 hours before.”
Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs petitioned the High Court to have The Zone at Ulverston Ltd wound up on November 29, 2012. The winding-up order was issued on January 21.
The Zone also has a play area in Lancaster that runs as a separate company, which is understood to be trading normally.
The Evening Mail tried several times to contact the company’s owners but they were unavailable for comment.
First published at 13:32, Sunday, 10 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|