Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Ulverston lasagne-throwing attacker sent to prison

A 39-year-old former drug addict from Ulverston who threatened a drinking companion with a knife, staggered around the streets with a firearm and hurled lasagne at a custody officer has been jailed.

James Harold Hayes, of Grasmere Road, Ulverston, pleaded guilty to two assaults and possession of a knife when he appeared before Furness Magistrates’ Court yesterday.

At an earlier hearing he had admitted possession of an air weapon in public and another assault.

Members of the public reported seeing Hayes carrying an air rifle in North Lonsdale Road near Ulverston Canal on April 26.

One witness contacted police to say he appeared to be drunk and he was drinking a can of cider.

Mrs Lisa Hine, prosecuting, said officers approached Hayes and handcuffed him. An air rifle was found in some long grass nearby.

Hayes was arrested and taken to Barrow police station where he asked for food and a drink which was brought to him by detention officer, Lesley Clay.

Mrs Hine said: “She handed some food through to him and closed the hatch. She heard him shouting and re-opened the hatch and was hit by some lasagne.

“She was hit by the food on the left shoulder and forearm which caused reddening due to it being hot and a blister.”

Mrs Hine explained that on June 26 Hayes had assaulted Harriet Glynn and Jamie Watson and threatened her with a kitchen knife after an altercation.

He was later stopped by police and another knife was found by his feet which he had dropped.

Mr Andrew Gibson, defending, said: “He did not know that it was illegal to carry an air gun in a public place.

“When he was handed the hot drink and food by the custody officer he managed to spill it and ended up with injuries. This resulted in him throwing everything down and the majority of the lasagne hit the wall with some on the officer.

“The knife he had was two inches long and was broken. He forgot he had it on him.”

Magistrates jailed him for 22 weeks.


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Should England’s top flight women footballers be paid as much as the men?



Show Result