Ulverston landmark's future down to residents
Last updated at 12:00, Monday, 22 July 2013
THE future of a much-loved Ulverston landmark will be decided by residents, council chiefs have promised.
Following public concern over the future of the Coronation Hall in Ulverston, South Lakeland District Council leader Peter Thornton has pledged to ensure members of the public are properly consulted once proposals to safeguard its future are put forward.
Earlier this year, the Evening Mail revealed the popular venue was costing the taxpayer almost £1,000 a day to run.
SLDC has already said the hall is unviable in its present state and Councillor Graham Vincent, portfolio holder for communities and well-being, has been tasked with finding a solution.
But Cllr Thornton has said although every possible solution is being considered, the council will go for the option with the most public support.
He said: “It is a wonderful building and a wonderful asset and I will do everything I can to make sure it has got a future.”
Cllr Thornton said it was too early to rule out any possibilities but he made it clear no decisions will be taken without first consulting residents.
He said: “I guarantee nothing will get slipped by and suddenly announced without consultation. Whatever we come up with, we will put to the people of Ulverston and listen to what they say.”
He also said the council currently has no preferred option for how to cut the cost to the taxpayer of running the hall.
The issue of the Coronation Hall was raised by a number of residents at a recent drop-in surgery he held alongside SLDC chief executive Lawrence Conway at the venue.
Ulverston Town Council has previously vowed to do all it can to keep the hall open amid fears the council is looking to sell it off.
It is likely to be several months before the council puts forward its proposals to mitigate the heavy drain on its budget caused by the Coronation Hall.
However, if it is to continue footing the bill it seems it will have to find the money elsewhere.
First published at 16:50, Sunday, 21 July 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
HII think it is real shame. to hear about The Mansion. As I was at that School from 1st May 1963 to 21 July 1967. I am really shocked to read about it. Stephen.
Make your comment
- UPDATE: Four arrested in Windermere murder investigation
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- Man stabbed in leg during Cumbria assault
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- A590 path repair project announced (1 comment)
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success (1 comment)
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan (1 comment)
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown