Ulverston death sparks fears of drug menace’s return
Published at 12:02, Friday, 18 April 2014
THE death of an Ulverston man who choked on his own vomit has led to fears that methadone abuse is “rearing its head” in the area.
An inquest at Barrow Town Hall on Wednesday heard Andrew John Thorburn, of North Lonsdale Road, Ulverston, died at his home on December 6 after drinking with friends.
Mr Thorburn, 39, had a combination of alcohol, methadone and anti-depressants including diazepam in his bloodstream.
Mr Ian Smith, coroner for South and East Cumbria, said although the dosages of each individual drug were not in themselves enough to kill Mr Thorburn, the combined effect meant his automatic responses failed when he vomited in his sleep.
An autopsy concluded he died as a result of aspiration of vomit due to the effects of methadone and alcohol.
Duncan O’Sullivan, who described Mr Thorburn as “my best friend”, had been staying with him at the time of his death.
He told the coroner’s court they had been drinking at The Piel Castle, where Mr Thorburn confided he had been using heroin and methadone.
He said: “He was so out of it at the pub he was just making a nuisance of himself, so I called him a taxi. He was falling asleep in the taxi so I was slapping his face to try and wake him up. When we got back he had a can of beer but he was spilling it all over himself so I sent him to bed.”
Later that evening Mr O’Sullivan went to check on his friend. “He wasn’t in a good position. I turned him over and that’s when I realised,” he said.
PC John Turner, of Cumbria police, said he attended North Lonsdale Road after a neighbour called 999 reporting a woman shouting “he’s dead, he’s dead”.
When PC Turner attended the scene, he walked through the door of Mr Thorburn’s home and heard people counting. He realised they were performing CPR and called an ambulance.
Recording a verdict of accidental death, Mr Smith said: “Methadone is a very dangerous drug. The same dosage can have different effects on different people, and even worse the same dose can affect the same person differently.
“It was a problem in the area in the 1990s and we thought we had got a grip on it. Now 20 years later it is rearing its head again.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|