Ulverston businessman’s spine-chiller of night challenge
Last updated at 12:00, Saturday, 11 January 2014
WITH temperatures lingering in single figures this weekend, spare a thought for Ulverston businessman Wayne Singleton.
The HR business partner at Siemens Subsea in Ulverston will be tramping over the Pennines during a punishing mountain marathon.
The 38-year-old is competing in the brutal Spine Challenger, a 108-mile, non-stop, mountain marathon between Edale and Hawes.
The Spine Challenger is a wickedly difficult event which attracts athletes from across Europe.
Participants have a time limit of 60 hours to complete the course, which means running through the night.
If running 108 miles wasn’t enough of a challenge, the race is also mentally taxing, as participants have to be constantly aware of where they’re treading in the dark.
Mr Singleton is no stranger to extreme challenges.
The Ulverston Triathlon Club member has completed the Marathon des Sables, one of the most demanding on the planet, as well as a number of ultra-distance events.
Despite being in peak physical condition, the conditions Mr Singleton will experience this weekend will test him to his limits.
The Spine Challenger was launched in January 2012, when only one participant finished.
Last year’s event saw a much higher number of finishers, despite extremely tough conditions of knee- deep snow, high winds and poor visibility.
Although temperatures will be milder this year, there is snow on the tops – and many sections of the course are waterlogged after the recent floods.
Mr Singleton said: “If you’re interested, you can track my progress up the Pennine Way, as we’re wearing GPS trackers – partly for safety reasons and partly so you can be thankful you’re sitting in your living room on Saturday night.”
Mr Singleton is competitor number 139 and can be tracked via http://thespinerace.com/2014-race-updates/
He is raising money for Kendal Mountain Rescue Team.
To donate by text messaging, send a text to 70070 quoting KMRT13 £5 (or any other amount).
First published at 11:13, Thursday, 16 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- "Fantastic victory" for Barrow after massive increase in train services announced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (3 comments)
- New moto-cross team for Furness (1 comment)
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|