Thieving Ulverston pub landlord given community order
Last updated at 15:01, Wednesday, 30 April 2014
AN ULVERSTON pub landlord who stole thousands of pounds worth of equipment from his place of work has been given a community order.
Thomas Steven Henderson, of Maple Street, Barrow, appeared at Furness Magistrates’ Court yesterday for sentencing.
He had pleaded guilty on Tuesday April 22 to two counts of theft.
Henderson, 29, took charge of the Grapes, in Market Street, Ulverston, in February 2013.
The thefts – which included a touch screen till and printer, a 50in TV, an oven, barstools and drink optics – amounted to more than £2,000.
They took place between July 1 and October 24, 2013.
They were discovered in October last year, when the regional manager visited the pub to find Henderson had vacated the property and taken several items.
Mrs Lesley Duhig, prosecuting, told the court that prior to the discovery of the offence, the regional manager had met with Henderson and realised in conversation that he was facing financial difficulty.
She said: “He managed to sell a cash register on Ebay for £200.
“The value of the register was in fact £1,086.”
Some of the items stolen, including the optics and bar stools, were recovered, with assistance from Henderson.
Mr Sean Harkin, defending, told the court of Henderson’s previous good character.
He said: “He acted in desperation and regrets what he has done.
“He understands that he has lost his good name.”
Deputy district judge David Purcell decided Henderson’s sentence.
He said: “I think there was a high degree of trust placed in you.
“Though I have taken into account the fact that you haven’t been in trouble before.
“For these reasons I am going to give you a community order for 12 months.”
Henderson was given 200 hours of unpaid work as well as an eight-week curfew between the hours of 7pm and 7am commencing immediately.
He was also ordered to pay £1,086 in compensation to pay for the cash register, and £85 in legal costs.
First published at 14:13, Wednesday, 30 April 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- Councillor played solitaire during debate on 1,800 Cumbria council job losses
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|