Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Monday, 06 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Suspended sentence and curfew for Ulverston toilet assault

A MAN who assaulted two men in the toilets of an Ulverston pub has been given a suspended sentence – and a four-month curfew to keep him out of drinking spots over the festive period.

IN COURT: Jamie Halligan assaulted two men in the toilets of an Ulverston pub in April

Jamie Halligan, 23, appeared at Preston Crown Court on Monday to be sentenced for two offences of assault following an incident at the Sun Inn pub in Ulverston.

The court, which was shown CCTV footage from the night, heard a man called Wayne Fleming was on a night out with his brother-in-law on April 21.

The brother-in-law went into the men’s toilets at the Market Street pub and ended up in an argument with Halligan.

Mr Michael Murray, prosecuting, said Mr Fleming tried to calm things down and was punched to the head.

Mr Fleming then fell to the ground and was kicked several times to the head and face – the prosecution said others may have been involved in that.

He ended up with a cut upper lip, two lumps to the back of his head and bruised elbows.

The other man who was assaulted, Simon Beddoes, had tried to stop the fight, but was punched to the face.

Mr Murray added: “The defendant said something about him ruling the world, or some other nonsensical thing.”

Mr Beddoes was then punched again as he was leaving the lavatories and ended up with a fractured nose.

Mr Richard Bennett, defending, said his client had pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity.

“There seems to have been a deal of provocation, a lack of pre-meditation and almost an excessive use of self defence,” the barrister said.

“He didn’t enter the toilets for the purpose of a fight. It was in an entirely non-confrontational manner.

“Mr Fleming was approaching the defendant, who was backing off and putting his arms up largely in a conciliatory gesture. At some point when the grappling started, the defendant had clearly attempted to push Mr Fleming away. He says Mr Fleming was recognised by the defendant as one of a group of people who at an earlier stage had been insulting to him and a friend.”

Mr Bennett said Halligan suggested there had been some degree of provocation from Mr Beddoes.

“The defendant accepts punching him and causing a broken nose. The defendant says he wasn’t involved in kicking,” he said. Halligan, of Brewery Street, Barrow, admitted one offence of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and another of common assault. Judge Michael Byrne sentenced him to a 44-week jail term, suspended for two years, with 12 months supervision and a four-month curfew to run from 8pm to 8am each night.

The judge told Halligan: “I think you are a danger with alcohol inside you when you are in public houses, when your brute strength takes over.”

Have your say

Be the first to comment on this article!

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Should patients be charged for missing doctors’ appointments?



Show Result

Resource Cumbria

The Forum

F. Dickinson footwear

Homes and gardens 22

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out