Space rocks thrill Ulverston pupils
Last updated at 18:38, Friday, 24 January 2014
MOON rocks and meteorites have spent a week on display at an Ulverston school – to the awe and fascination of pupils.
Alaric Thompson, 42, the head of physics at Ulverston Victoria High School, arranged for the cosmic material to be on loan from NASA and the National History Museum.
Pupils from the school, along with students from St Bernard’s, Barrow Sixth Form College and Chetwynde School, have had the opportunity to see the ancient rocks over the past week.
The moon rocks were gathered during the Apollo moon landings in the early 1970s.
They were taken to answer questions about the moon, but some were placed aside for educational purposes.
The meteorites from the National History Museum have an altogether very different story. One is dated as 150 million years older than the earth.
Mr Thompson, of Walney, got the other schools involved through his role as Ogden Trust Teacher Fellow.
He said: “Everyone’s really shown an interest. Not just in the things themselves but the moon rocks have really revived an interest in the Apollo moon landings.
“Some of the younger students didn’t really appreciate that but it’s really helped to bring it back.”
The materials have been on display at the school before, 10 years ago in 2004.
Mr Thompson thought that after a decade it was worth arranging their return.
They are under tight security due to their rarity, and Mr Thompson and staff have had to keep a close eye on them.
The rocks arrived on Monday, and they left yesterday.
First published at 17:12, Friday, 24 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|