South Cumbria Cyclist, 7, achieves £1k fundraising aim
Published at 15:50, Wednesday, 13 August 2014
A SEVEN-YEAR-OLD girl who is raising money for charity has already smashed her target part way through her epic bike ride.
Ella Parker, along with her mum, Gina Parker, dad Michael Parker and her 20-month-old brother, Zac, has been raising money for the children’s charity, Alice’s Escapes.
Ella, a pupil at Low Furness School, is spending her six-week summer holiday cycling 147.5 miles, the same distance that was cycled on the longest day in the Tour de France.
Her aim to raise £1,000 for the charity has already been reached and she isn’t due to complete her bike ride until August 31.
The family, from Great Urswick, are inviting people to join them on the last leg of their journey.
Mrs Parker, who works at the Cumbria Development Education Centre, Ambleside, said: “We would love it if as many people could join us as possible for either the full ride, part of the ride or a barbecue and a pint at the pub.”
The final section of the ride will take place on August 31 and families wanting to take part can meet Ella and her family at Scales Park at 4pm. The ride will end at the General Burgoyne pub in Great Urswick where there will be a celebratory event.
Mrs Parker added: “We have now done over 100 miles and Ella is still very determined to raise as much money as she can for Alice’s Escapes. She got to meet representatives from Alice’s Escapes at the North Lonsdale Show in Ulverston and that has spurred her on more.”
Ella began her challenge on July 19. Since then she has cycled to Bardsea beach and Scales Park, and completed a 15-mile ride in Anglesey and a 23.65-mile ride from Grange through the Whitbarrow National Nature Reserve.
Alice’s Escapes, based in the South Lakes, was formed in 2012 and provides holidays for seriously ill children.
To support Ella donate through https://www.justgiving.com/Ella-Zac-Parker/. Donations are welcome for the raffle that will be held at the General Burgoyne.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow AFC boost title bid with comfortable win (6 comments)
- Two climbers suffer serious falls in Lake District (2 comments)
- Woman stole handbag while owner danced in Barrow pub (4 comments)
- Care firm boss sets out stall for new Cumbria recruits (1 comment)
- Letting the train add to the strain (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|